Starting out

Need any help or advice post it here.
Andy

Daz71 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:25 am had the trap open this morning giving the birds freedom of the landing board with no cage, they all poked around for a bit but they did not want to leave the board at all, after about half an hour they all went back into the loft the wind started to get up so I put the cage back up will tray again tomorrow very nerve racking I must say.....
All going well Daz. Just keep doing what you’re doing. No need to push them.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Daz71

Andy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:28 am
Daz71 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:25 am had the trap open this morning giving the birds freedom of the landing board with no cage, they all poked around for a bit but they did not want to leave the board at all, after about half an hour they all went back into the loft the wind started to get up so I put the cage back up will tray again tomorrow very nerve racking I must say.....
Thank's Andy so cautious of loosing them, as others have said i'm also concerned they may be getting to strong & just flying off.
Anthony webster
Great Britain

You can be gentle take zero risks wrap them in cotton wall
Or you can be hard n do ya best to loose the yb.
After baby racing n yearling racing you be left with exactly the same pigeons,
You can protect n prob birds up but when there racing only strong get home and only the good ones are lucky enough to win.
Most won't like my attitude but it's the truth.
Andy

Anthony webster wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:55 am You can be gentle take zero risks wrap them in cotton wall
You can protect n prob birds up but when there racing only strong get home and only the good ones are lucky enough to win.
That is very true Anthony. But this is the first time that Daz has ever had pigeons and is understandably nervous. I do agree with what you’re saying and yes what way he does it if no good the poorer ones will disappear but we also don’t want him getting disillusioned at this early stage and give up before his started. So a bit of caution at this early stage is all I’m saying.
Andy

I do agree that the best way is to try too lose them. This certainly proves what’s worth keeping.
Anthony webster
Great Britain

Andy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:04 pm
Anthony webster wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:55 am You can be gentle take zero risks wrap them in cotton wall
That is very true Anthony. But this is the first time that Daz has ever had pigeons and is understandably nervous. I do agree with what you’re saying and yes what way he does it if no good the poorer ones will disappear but we also don’t want him getting disillusioned at this early stage and give up before his started. So a bit of caution at this early stage is all I’m saying.
I understand Andy my advice to all novices is don't except gifts of fellow club members there giving u what they don't want thinking there helping you and doing you a favour but in fact there putting you 3 yrs behind n taking 3 yrs of pool money of you each week,
My advice stays the same follow results approach 2 top lofts save your money buy 2 kits in of there racers but only take advice of one of them but note down what the other good flyer tells you for a later date,
Never fill sorry for pigeons and spoil them with food, food is poison when there given two much of it,
Dont listen to club members stick with 1 mentor after you got liberation time n what time strike is don't answer phone some lads love ruining a novices race before results come out,
Think by doing these things you progress much quicker
Any yb not toeing the line get removed any yb sitting hunchie for more than 2 days remove and time you see a young bird turn away from team remove it will die with in the hour.
Daz71

Thank's for all the advice it's good to see other views on the same Idea I suppose at the end of the day you all want the same result... Winners..
Buster121

Daz71 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:40 am
Andy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:28 am
Thank's Andy so cautious of loosing them, as others have said i'm also concerned they may be getting to strong & just flying off.
I would not risk letting out in strong winds just yet wait until they know where home is, just let them sit in crate looking around
Buster121

Anthony webster wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:42 pm
I understand Andy my advice to all novices is don't except gifts of fellow club members there giving u what they don't want thinking there helping you and doing you a favour but in fact there putting you 3 yrs behind n taking 3 yrs of pool money of you each week,
My advice stays the same follow results approach 2 top lofts save your money buy 2 kits in of there racers but only take advice of one of them but note down what the other good flyer tells you for a later date,
Never fill sorry for pigeons and spoil them with food, food is poison when there given two much of it,
Dont listen to club members stick with 1 mentor after you got liberation time n what time strike is don't answer phone some lads love ruining a novices race before results come out,
Any yb not toeing the line get removed any yb sitting hunchie for more than 2 days remove and time you see a young bird turn away from team remove it will die with in the hour.
Anthony not all give what they don't want, when ever I give birds away I usually tend to breed a pair keeping one myself and other goes to new owner, I would certainly never give anything not prepared to keep myself
Anthony webster
Great Britain

Buster121 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:50 pm
Anthony webster wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:42 pm

Anthony not all give what they don't want, when ever I give birds away I usually tend to breed a pair keeping one myself and other goes to new owner, I would certainly never give anything not prepared to keep myself
I'm the same but for every 1 fanicer giving he's best away there's 99 fanicers who keep pigeons that are 5,10 mins two slow each week giving there children away some are mad enough to keep them there in hope that a donkey breeds a derby winner.