Starting out

Need any help or advice post it here.
Daz71

Little update I put the crate in the garden with the birds in, for around 4hours today facing the loft, I then placed the crate back on the landing board with the door open facing the bob wires and within seconds they all entered the loft onto another board on the inside, again within seconds 3 birds fluttered to the loft floor, followed by the other 3 around 5 min later, after feeding tonight before lights out 4 birds had made their way to the boxes 3rd row up from loft floor with 2 birds sharing a single box is this a sign they are ready to fly? and do I just let them out onto the landing board and see what happens?
Andy

Daz71 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:57 pm Little update I put the crate in the garden with the birds in, for around 4hours today facing the loft, I then placed the crate back on the landing board with the door open facing the bob wires and within seconds they all entered the loft onto another board on the inside, again within seconds 3 birds fluttered to the loft floor, followed by the other 3 around 5 min later, after feeding tonight before lights out 4 birds had made their way to the boxes 3rd row up from loft floor with 2 birds sharing a single box is this a sign they are ready to fly? and do I just let them out onto the landing board and see what happens?
Yes I think you could just open the front up and let them find their own way out. Don’t leave them out for too long before calling them back in. They will soon start fluttering around the loft.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Buster121

Daz71 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:57 pm Little update I put the crate in the garden with the birds in, for around 4hours today facing the loft, I then placed the crate back on the landing board with the door open facing the bob wires and within seconds they all entered the loft onto another board on the inside, again within seconds 3 birds fluttered to the loft floor, followed by the other 3 around 5 min later, after feeding tonight before lights out 4 birds had made their way to the boxes 3rd row up from loft floor with 2 birds sharing a single box is this a sign they are ready to fly? and do I just let them out onto the landing board and see what happens?
Good to see coming alond nicely, as Andy says just open and let them out but stay with them at all times
Andy

Make sure they are a little hungry when you let them come out so that they will trap quickly when you call them.
It will be a real worry for you the first time they lift off the loft. Once airborne there is absolutely nothing you can do but hope they come back down. It’s not uncommon to have the odd one have a night out. Once they get the hang of it and have started flying they are half way there.
Daz71

this is making me a little nervous
Andy

Daz71 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:43 pm this is making me a little nervous
It will do. It still does us every year after many years. The first time they start flying is the worst.
Buster121

Andy wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:53 pm
It will do. It still does us every year after many years. The first time they start flying is the worst.
Doesn't it just, as you say nothing can be done once they up
Murray

Of course you are. You are obviously putting a lot of time and effort into the youngsters, and it's all new to you.
Just open the trap, and let them quietly find their way out. Stay close by but let them go in and out for a while.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Trev

:lol: :lol: :D
As Andy, Buster and Murray have said, just leave the trap open now and let them find their own way out, you've done well so far :D
It is a horrible yet exciting time, especially as they are your first and only birds, its worse than letting your kids out alone for the first time lol :lol:
Once they've done it a couple of times they should be fine, when they do start flying about you might find one or two disappear and may even stay out overnight but most will come back after a day or two.
When these are settled breeding your own will be a breeze mate ;) :lol:
Daz71

had the trap open this morning giving the birds freedom of the landing board with no cage, they all poked around for a bit but they did not want to leave the board at all, after about half an hour they all went back into the loft the wind started to get up so I put the cage back up will tray again tomorrow very nerve racking I must say.....