Widowhood cocks training.

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Trev

MIL wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:41 pm There was no hard and fast rule to be honest

9/10 they'd get the bowl and then the hens a short time after - but there were times when I mixed it up a bit

In all honesty the very very best widowers need little motivation - they are self-motivators

I'm talking now about the cocks that hound their competitors coming 6,7,8 times or more a season (with good positions too)
Some great advice again there guys, just remember Diesel that what works for one flyer won't always work for another so doesn't make it right. You have to find what works for you and your team. I only ever tried Widowhood once and I'm afraid it wasn't for me, far too regimented.
I do honestly think it's a system that is eventually bred into some pigeons, I have a cock bird here who got from eggs I given when Ian Crammond of the late Crammond/Langstaff partnership got rid of all their birds. He is now 6 years old, has had a few minor club positions and was 2nd club, 5th Fed, 19th Combine from Perth 404miles. I've only ever managed to get 4 youngsters from him as he just has no interest in pairing up, if he does eventually take a mate and she lays he won't sit the eggs, the only babies I've got are from me putting his eggs under othe pairs. This year he's not paired up again, he does love his nest box though !!
Good luck Diesel
Andy

After their first race on widowhood yesterday the cocks are buzzing today. As it was their first time on widowhood I did show the hens before marking. The nest bowls were put in half an hour before the hens were put in. I had 8 of the 11 back with 5 minutes. All but one trapped very well. The one that didn’t trap very well is one who has trouble with another cock taking over 2 boxes. The hens were left with the cocks for a couple of hours before being removed. I then took all the bowls out and left the cocks with half the box. This morning they flew well and when I dropped the drop board they were in very quickly. I gave them a bath in the loft this morning and let them out again this afternoon. They had another good fly before I let them back in. I stand beside the trap when I open it which is about shoulder height for me and they trap without any hesitation right beside me.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Murray

MIL wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:41 pm There was no hard and fast rule to be honest

9/10 they'd get the bowl and then the hens a short time after - but there were times when I mixed it up a bit

In all honesty the very very best widowers need little motivation - they are self-motivators

I'm talking now about the cocks that hound their competitors coming 6,7,8 times or more a season (with good positions too)
True that.
I used to mix it up a bit with the widowers. Sometimes they would get the nest bowl but no hen, sometimes just a handful of straw, sometimes they would see the hen for about 10 seconds and other times put all the hens loose in the loft. Anything to keep them interested.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Buster121

Andy wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:10 pm After their first race on widowhood yesterday the cocks are buzzing today. As it was their first time on widowhood I did show the hens before marking. The nest bowls were put in half an hour before the hens were put in. I had 8 of the 11 back with 5 minutes. All but one trapped very well. The one that didn’t trap very well is one who has trouble with another cock taking over 2 boxes. The hens were left with the cocks for a couple of hours before being removed. I then took all the bowls out and left the cocks with half the box. This morning they flew well and when I dropped the drop board they were in very quickly. I gave them a bath in the loft this morning and let them out again this afternoon. They had another good fly before I let them back in. I stand beside the trap when I open it which is about shoulder height for me and they trap without any hesitation right beside me.
Good to see going well
Murray

I used to just use the normal form of widowhood for about 5 weeks. Put the bowl in, show the hen, etc.
Just my opinion, but if the cocks are in blazing form and giving you 100%, after about 6 weeks it starts to show. That's why after six weeks the races were getting longer and some of the yearling cocks were starting to look like they had 6 races in a row.
So I would start looking at the older cocks. They were more awake to the game, and that's why I used to "mess with their heads" a bit more.. :twisted:
Greetings from the land down under. :D
diesel

Thanks for all the comments lads good luck to everybody for the season
Trev

Andy wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:10 pm After their first race on widowhood yesterday the cocks are buzzing today. As it was their first time on widowhood I did show the hens before marking. The nest bowls were put in half an hour before the hens were put in. I had 8 of the 11 back with 5 minutes. All but one trapped very well. The one that didn’t trap very well is one who has trouble with another cock taking over 2 boxes. The hens were left with the cocks for a couple of hours before being removed. I then took all the bowls out and left the cocks with half the box. This morning they flew well and when I dropped the drop board they were in very quickly. I gave them a bath in the loft this morning and let them out again this afternoon. They had another good fly before I let them back in. I stand beside the trap when I open it which is about shoulder height for me and they trap without any hesitation right beside me.
Good to see that they are taking to the new system nicely Andy, I hope they continue to do well for you bruv.
Trev

Murray wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:04 am I used to just use the normal form of widowhood for about 5 weeks. Put the bowl in, show the hen, etc.
Just my opinion, but if the cocks are in blazing form and giving you 100%, after about 6 weeks it starts to show. That's why after six weeks the races were getting longer and some of the yearling cocks were starting to look like they had 6 races in a row.
So I would start looking at the older cocks. They were more awake to the game, and that's why I used to "mess with their heads" a bit more.. :twisted:
As I said before, widowhood just isn't for me so I can't give any constructive comments on it. However talking to one of our top sprint fanciers after last weeks race, Alan Akemenkalns, and he just shows a few hens to his yearling cocks on basketing day, he doesn't put them in their boxes as he thinks it blows their minds and causes them too much stress.
Anthony webster
Great Britain

Trev wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:44 pm
Murray wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:04 am I used to just use the normal form of widowhood for about 5 weeks. Put the bowl in, show the hen, etc.
As I said before, widowhood just isn't for me so I can't give any constructive comments on it. However talking to one of our top sprint fanciers after last weeks race, Alan Akemenkalns, and he just shows a few hens to his yearling cocks on basketing day, he doesn't put them in their boxes as he thinks it blows their minds and causes them too much stress.
I don't race widowhood for sprinting but when I did we tested n birds given no bowls and no hens Friday won more firsts over 3 seasons than showing and motivating em.
Trev

Anthony webster wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:44 am
Trev wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:44 pm
I don't race widowhood for sprinting but when I did we tested n birds given no bowls and no hens Friday won more firsts over 3 seasons than showing and motivating em.
Interesting, thanks for that mate.