fanning a pigeons tail

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Buster121

Andy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:54 pm
George and Morgan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:31 am and in Belgium the middle feather top lofts from a video i watched Dev select they pairings
I remember reading an article years ago about the centre feather. The quill is supposed to be central. Some are slightly left or slightly right. The idea I think was to try to pair left to right to achieve central. Not sure, just another of those theories.
Isn't it something to do with all other feathers being behind it making it look as if only 1 feather
Andy

king wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:45 pm
Devo1956 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:27 am Specifically, the pigeon has tail feathers because it is a bird and is not flightless. It therefore requires the tail to assist with balance, steering, braking, acceleration and other fine manoeuvring in flight. The tail also serves in sexual display.
And yet pigeons can fly very well without a tail at all.
I think the theory was around the balance suggesting that a pigeon with the top tail feather having the quill central was more balanced than one where it sat left or right. I read about this theory back in the 80s. Not one for me to be bothered with.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.