Starting out

Need any help or advice post it here.
Murray

Buster121 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 pm Andy think you have covered everything there, one thing I would use is a feeder drinker stand helps keep water cleaner as off floor and although you only having 8 birds would have some extra perches, you can pick both these up on ebay

https://www.pallatts.com/feeder-with-drinker-stand/
I fully agree with Buster on that.
One simple but useful tip is to have your drinker up off the floor. It helps prevent dust and dirt getting into the water. Clean water is one of the first essentials for healthy pigeons.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Daz71

Who do you guy's use for supplies please, also thinking of making the perch boxes from melamine faced ply for ease of cleaning is this a good or bad idea?
Andy

Daz71 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:57 pm Who do you guy's use for supplies please, also thinking of making the perch boxes from melamine faced ply for ease of cleaning is this a good or bad idea?
There are a few different suppliers that you can find online. The main ones are Boddy and Ridewood or Pallets. It’s not to difficult to make your own. The pigeons won’t mind what they look like lol. It’s only you that may worry about the look. I have used melamine in the past and yes it does make it easy to clean but the problem is that although generally the droppings aren’t wet there is dampness and the plain plywood has the benefit of soaking up any moisture but will quickly dry out in decent weather.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
George and Morgan

you can buy the V perch wood or plastic i'm not keen on them
Attachments
P1010970.JPG
Daz71

George and Morgan wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:44 pm you can buy the V perch wood or plastic i'm not keen on them
would you say boxes are better?
George and Morgan

much better for catching the bird
Andy

I agree with George. Make them quite deep, I think mine are about 10” deep. This way when going to catch the birds they tend to go back into the box making it easy to pick them up. If shallow, as with V perches, they will tend to fly away. The last thing you want is to be chasing birds around the loft.
Daz71

such great info guy's thank you
George and Morgan

if 12" deep bird will go to the back of the perch
Attachments
P1010162.JPG
Andy

IMG_3166.jpeg
Mine in the young bird section.
IMG_3148.jpeg
These are for the widowhood hens.