fat ybs

Talk about anything here. ( non pigeon related please)
Buster121

George and Morgan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:20 am just had another look at them this morning there seems to be too much corn in the crop and no water the crop is packed with corn the other think they don't seem to be any weight
George if they are packed with food you will not feel any water and that is how they should be, if I can feel water in mine then they are not having enough feed and that is when other things can happen
George and Morgan

never normally go near ybs until they are weaned one is clean underneath the other one bit of dirt something i don't like to see will give them a few days
Andy

George and Morgan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:02 pm never normally go near ybs until they are weaned one is clean underneath the other one bit of dirt something i don't like to see will give them a few days
I wouldn’t worry at all about them George. As Buster said you don’t want to feel a crop full of liquid at the age they are. If you do it is a sign that the parents are getting lazy feeders and just filling them with water. Although I don’t like to see them dirty underneath I’ve found it doesn’t make much difference once weaned.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Buster121

George and Morgan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:02 pm never normally go near ybs until they are weaned one is clean underneath the other one bit of dirt something i don't like to see will give them a few days
George please do not be offended by this, but just let nature take it's course what you are seeing is what should be happening and I do think you are worrying to much about things that do not neccessarily mean anything, I do like to see birds clean underneath myself but I certainly do not worry if they are a bit dirty
Trev

I have to agree with Andy and Buster mate, I'd just leave them be and see how they turn out. Keep a note somewhere, so that you can refer to it at a later date.
I don't like to see dirty babies either but unfortunately some parents are dirty and don't keep a clean nest hence the dirty babies. As I said earlier we all have our likes and dislikes, and I'm sure many fanciers would agree with you and dispose of them. At the end of the day we all need a selection criteria or we would become completely over run with birds.
Anthony webster
Great Britain

I don't like fat young birds
Every fat baby iv had as been useless or lost,, just a nice normal shape and weight I like, I look for babys wanting to leave the nest young and when weaned perch fast, them fat ones that stay on floor for days longer than rest are normally no good I'm very fussy with stock and watch every thing another thing is whewhen feeding if there tail goes down when they eat you will lose them with in 6 tosses.
Andy

Anthony webster wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:06 pm I don't like fat young birds
Every fat baby iv had as been useless or lost,, just a nice normal shape and weight I like, I look for babys wanting to leave the nest young and when weaned perch fast, them fat ones that stay on floor for days longer than rest are normally no good I'm very fussy with stock and watch every thing another thing is whewhen feeding if there tail goes down when they eat you will lose them with in 6 tosses.
At what age do you look to wean yours Anthony? I’ve never looked at their tails when eating. Never knew that. A interesting point to look for.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Buster121

Anthony webster wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:06 pm I don't like fat young birds
Hi Anthony can you elaborate a bit regarding the 6 tosses loss please
George and Morgan

that's different from when the tail shoots up when handled
wynands56

i dont like pigeons with full crops at any time except when there feeding youngsters when weaned there on a feeding system that i control as the same as old birds yearlings as soon as the first pigeon goes for a drink the feeding troughs are taken away any food left goes into corn bin. but im sure fellow fanciers have there methods many ways to skin a cat