Things so different

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Murray

Just my view, Andy, but I would train them a couple of times back to the hen after you separate them, to teach them that the hens are waiting. Your cocks are new to this.
Needn't be far, 6 or 8 miles would do.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Andy

So this years 11 widowhood cocks, which I am really looking forward to racing are made up of fairly experienced birds.
1 four year old who has had 7 races up to 269 miles. Although very inconsistent.
4 three year olds.
1 has had 12 races up to 168 miles. He was missing for 3 months as a youngster but has been fairly reliable since.
1 has had 13 races up to 184 miles. He has been fairly consistent apart from 1 race where he was 10 days late.
1 has had 4 races and still has a lot to prove.
1 has had 4 races. Another that needs to very much improve. Twice been missing for 3 weeks +
4 two year olds.
1 has had 9 races. Apart from 1 hiccup when he took 4 days he was my most consistent old bird last year.
1 has had 3 races. 2 he done well in the other he was reported and returned on transporter.
1 has only had 1 race so far.
The other was a late bred in 22. Has only had 2 races.
2 yearlings.
1 has had 8 races being very consistent
1 has had 8 races and first bird 3 times.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Andy

Murray wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:44 pm Just my view, Andy, but I would train them a couple of times back to the hen after you separate them, to teach them that the hens are waiting. Your cocks are new to this.
Needn't be far, 6 or 8 miles would do.
I could do Murray. They are only going to be split and on widowhood for 2 weeks before the first race. So not to much time. My idea of training while they are paired and sitting is that the hen will be there on their return. What I like to do is make sure that every time they go in the basket the hen is there when they come out.
I watched a bit on utube of someone who said that he had the method to win on widowhood. He trained his twice a day from 22 miles. They only saw the hen at weekends before and after the race. He reconned that after 3 or 4 races he would start would leave the hens with the cocks for a couple of days to bring them back on form as they were getting stale. I think the only reason they were getting stale was because with all the training without seeing the hens on return they didn’t know whether the he would be there or not when coming home from a race. The other thing he done was he treated the birds for something nearly every day of the week.
Murray

I should think that bloke's cock birds would be getting stale all right. They would be totally fed up with it.

Two things that come to mind reading your list of pigeons. First, it appears that some of the cocks are only moderate and/or inconsistent. As I read once many years ago, putting ordinary pigeons on widowhood does not turn them into good ones. I would not be surprised if a few of the older ones still are inconsistent.
The two year olds and yearlings seem to have performed better, and there might be one or two surprise packages among them. :D

I reckon next year when you have more younger pigeons you will have a better team of widowers as this years yearlings will have experience on the system.
It's all very interesting.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Andy

Murray wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:45 pm I should think that bloke's cock birds would be getting stale all right. They would be totally fed up with it.

Two things that come to mind reading your list of pigeons. First, it appears that some of the cocks are only moderate and/or inconsistent. As I read once many years ago, putting ordinary pigeons on widowhood does not turn them into good ones. I would not be surprised if a few of the older ones still are inconsistent.
The two year olds and yearlings seem to have performed better, and there might be one or two surprise packages among them. :D

I reckon next year when you have more younger pigeons you will have a better team of widowers as this years yearlings will have experience on the system.
I agree Murray. Some will need to show themselves this year or they will be gone. It’s the start of a new venture now. It’s a system I have done successfully and enjoyed in the past. It is a case of finding the best pigeons for it. I think the big difference between proving sprint pigeons and distance ones is stark. The sprint ones can be proven in just one or two seasons with plenty of races for them to show their worth. With distance pigeons they only have a couple of chances per season. Even then everything has to be right for them.
With only having 12 widowhood boxes I only have room to keep the best on this system. I would hope to have 3 or 4 yearling cocks to replace those older ones that don’t perform. I have got 2 late bred cocks from last year that are on natural this year that will probably have a few races this year and may well join the widowhoods next year.
George and Morgan

most may not agree with me but i think all ybs should fly the full yb program think the best will be there at the end
Trev

George and Morgan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:36 am most may not agree with me but i think all ybs should fly the full yb program think the best will be there at the end
I do agree George and do like my youngsters to fly the whole young bird programme, I do however know fanciers who don't race youngsters at all. As we often say, "many roads lead to Rome" I just keep finding the ones that don't lmao 🤣😂🤣
Trev

Andy wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:06 am
Murray wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:45 pm I should think that bloke's cock birds would be getting stale all right. They would be totally fed up with it.

I agree Murray. Some will need to show themselves this year or they will be gone. It’s the start of a new venture now. It’s a system I have done successfully and enjoyed in the past. It is a case of finding the best pigeons for it. I think the big difference between proving sprint pigeons and distance ones is stark. The sprint ones can be proven in just one or two seasons with plenty of races for them to show their worth. With distance pigeons they only have a couple of chances per season. Even then everything has to be right for them.
With only having 12 widowhood boxes I only have room to keep the best on this system. I would hope to have 3 or 4 yearling cocks to replace those older ones that don’t perform. I have got 2 late bred cocks from last year that are on natural this year that will probably have a few races this year and may well join the widowhoods next year.
It's going to be a complete rebuild and learning curve for you Andy but a very exciting time for you too, I look forward to sharing your experience with you bruv 👍🤠 Just remember things have changed alot since we last raced seriously and competivly so be ready for a few disappointments 😉
Andy

I totally agree and accept that Trev. It will take time. But the best year I had back in Worthing I raced mainly just 6 cocks. 3 of the 6 would be in the first 6 of the club nearly every week. Those cocks would score from the first race at 90 miles up to 350 miles. Just never sent them to the 2 longest races. I would expect most of these cocks to still be here at the end of the season being that the longest race is only around 120 miles. But I will only be looking to keep those that perform well. So if I only have 3 or 4 good enough to keep at the end of this season that’s what I’ll do.