Young birds

Want to know anything about feeding or the health of your birds post it here.
Devo1956

Andy wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:56 pm I do agree Murray. There are only so many different feeds because different fanciers demand different things and think certain mixes are superior to others but generally they all do the same. I am because of racing widowhood going to change my feeding a bit but up until now have just been feeding an all round mix all year round.
When in Spain visiting my brother, i go to a corn store over there. You can make your own mix. Just add the % of what mix you want, it takes care of peoples choice, on the mix they would like for their birds.
Maybe this could be a cheaper way forward in the sport. No fancy bags with brand names, just simple feeds making your own mix.
George and Morgan

my mix has no maize plenty of peas
Buster121

George and Morgan wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:05 am my mix has no maize plenty of peas
Mine same at present but that is only because the farm never had anything with maize at all when I went, and I'm sure they are looking for it when being fed even more so it getting colder
Buster121

Devo1956 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:02 am
Andy wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:56 pm I do agree Murray. There are only so many different feeds because different fanciers demand different things and think certain mixes are superior to others but generally they all do the same. I am because of racing widowhood going to change my feeding a bit but up until now have just been feeding an all round mix all year round.
When in Spain visiting my brother, i go to a corn store over there. You can make your own mix. Just add the % of what mix you want, it takes care of peoples choice, on the mix they would like for their birds.
Maybe this could be a cheaper way forward in the sport. No fancy bags with brand names, just simple feeds making your own mix.
It could be Dev but will they go for it, no never as they cannot rip people off
Andy

You would have to have a lot of customers as you would need a lot of different feed bins to keep all the different ingredients that fanciers might want in their mixes.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Devo1956

Andy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:24 pm You would have to have a lot of customers as you would need a lot of different feed bins to keep all the different ingredients that fanciers might want in their mixes.
Yes i agree Andy but if you could have a main store in different areas, not just selling corn mix but all the main things needed;
Trev

Devo1956 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:28 pm
Andy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:24 pm You would have to have a lot of customers as you would need a lot of different feed bins to keep all the different ingredients that fanciers might want in their mixes.
Yes i agree Andy but if you could have a main store in different areas, not just selling corn mix but all the main things needed;
We do have a couple of feed merchants round here where you can buy most of the straights you'd need to mix your own feed, it does work out a lot cheaper if you've got room to store it all !!! There are also a couple of merchants on line like SS Seeds and Beattie's, again you'd need room to store it all and would have to buy a tonne at a time to save the carriage cost.
I do agree though Dev that if one club member had the space to store it and other members could go and mix their own it would work out much cheaper and the fancier storing it could make a pound or two !! We have a couple of fanciers round here who do bulk buy in feed and certain accessories for the members to save cost.
Devo1956

Yes Trev, 2 of the lads up here, buy a pallet and split it, any savings go towards something else needed.
NeilA

I like the Bamfords Centenary young bird mix it’s about 12-13 pc protein but not heavy .I use that as a main feed to about a 3 weeks to racing then change it to my normal feeding