Does age matter

Post your topics on breeding or family of pigeons here.
Devo1956

I ask this question, on other members thoughts. When it comes to breeding, i have found both Cocks and Hens at a good age. And they are still breeding winners, your thoughts on this bird please.
Attachments
d4d2c98f-f4f8-4bc4-90ce-0dc73b67ee1b_fullsize.jpg
image (8).jpg
Buster121

Personally I like it, it is all down to whether it can still breed
Devo1956

Buster121 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:00 pm Personally I like it, it is all down to whether it can still breed
I agree with you Buster, if you could get another few years out of this bird. Getting some good youngsters, with the right pairing. Well worth the punt.
Andy

A very nice pigeon and a terrific eye for breeding. No I wouldn’t be worried about the age. I have a 10 year old hen still laying. I also had a Van Hee cock who was still filling his eggs at 17. He was the sire of the loft and actually bred a double combine winner when he was 14.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Devo1956

Andy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:34 pm A very nice pigeon and a terrific eye for breeding. No I wouldn’t be worried about the age. I have a 10 year old hen still laying. I also had a Van Hee cock who was still filling his eggs at 17. He was the sire of the loft and actually bred a double combine winner when he was 14.
Yes Andy, i would say a very strong eye. Going for 75 Euros a very nice bird.
Andy

I think longevity is a good thing, especially if staying fertile.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Murray

He's not too old, he's only 10. If he was paired to a younger hen I would be very optimistic.
I think breeding from old cocks mated to old hens can be a mistake, but old x young, why not?
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Trev

Devo1956 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:31 pm I ask this question, on other members thoughts. When it comes to breeding, i have found both Cocks and Hens at a good age. And they are still breeding winners, your thoughts on this bird please.
The genetics are still there so as long as they are still filling and laying there is no reason why they shouldn't still produce the goods, I agree with Muzza and would put an older bird with a younger one, if it were me probably a son or Daughter.
Trev

Devo1956 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:47 pm
Andy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:34 pm A very nice pigeon and a terrific eye for breeding. No I wouldn’t be worried about the age. I have a 10 year old hen still laying. I also had a Van Hee cock who was still filling his eggs at 17. He was the sire of the loft and actually bred a double combine winner when he was 14.
Yes Andy, i would say a very strong eye. Going for 75 Euros a very nice bird.
Well worth a punt then mate 👍😁
The only bird I have ever brought was a 10 year old Noel Perrin hen, I brought her from Louella for £70 back in the 90s. They were selling off some old stock birds and I was looking for a new line so thought I'd give her a try, I bred a couple of rounds from her but unfortunately she escaped from the loft never to be seen again 😕
Anthony webster
Great Britain

What iv found withe iv retired good racers there first few yrs breeding you get great racers from each round but once they get over 6 yrs old iv found first round are brilliant 2nd round OK 3rd round junk for racing iv hens here 12,13 yrs old still breeding winners but it's only 1 baby a season that can race so now I keep a late one for breeding because the last 2 seasons the late ones given to friends have been fantastic breeders n the funny thing is a ugly late bred I give a friend of best hen last season bred most he's yb winners,
Another thing for yrs iv not bred of racers but in 2022 I did I didn't keep any for my self but give a good friend 12 baby's these 12 baby's in 5 yb races n last Yr ob racing have won 16x1st for my Friend 5x1st sects 1st Pdf 1st nrcc yearling classic and landed with winners on other races, this was a massive wake up call to me and told me keep the stock loft young stop filling ya loft with baby's off oaps.