Daily Feed

Talk about anything here. ( non pigeon related please)
Trev

Murray wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:26 pm
Trev wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:06 pm
Andy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:09 pm I wouldn’t be without feeding maize. My mixes always have maize in, some have two or three different types, red/yellow/plate, and it’s always the grain that they eat first.
I have to say I do like maize in my mixes as well as beans, but we have members that feed no maize mixes and others that feed no bean, all seem to have their fare share of success.
I absolutely believe in maize as the most important part of a racing pigeon diet.
But for young birds and pigeons that are resting or locked up like mine are at present it needs to be watched. Young birds that are fed too much maize can get fat and don't exercise like they should.
I like to see the youngsters athletic and full of life.
I know a lot of the young bird mixes don't contain maize !!
Murray

Of course it depends on what they are doing. Youngsters racing weekly from 80 or 100 miles need little build up, they are doing it on the energy stored from their normal diet.
Here, where they can go right out to 700 miles they are fed lots of maize and fats to load them up.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Trev

Murray wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:50 pm Of course it depends on what they are doing. Youngsters racing weekly from 80 or 100 miles need little build up, they are doing it on the energy stored from their normal diet.
Here, where they can go right out to 700 miles they are fed lots of maize and fats to load them up.
👍 yes Muzza, that is the key and that's where us as fanciers come in to make sure the birds have the right nutrition for what we have in store for them, they don't know how far we are going to ask them to fly !!!