New floor laid.

Topics relating to construction or maintenance of your loft, boxes and pigeon equipment
Andy

I had quite a productive day today. During the week I had a lot of wood delivered, some for my project out the back of the shop, and also some decking and plywood for the floor of the pigeon lofts.
We were out this morning but this afternoon I first done the bit of decking in font of Roxanna’s shed. The shed is 8 x 6 but had been put on the old frame I had laid for my old loft which was 12 x 6.
9027D476-7D19-436B-B379-E5242172CF83.jpeg
C3C58D5B-BA06-484B-8538-C2C9C0612248.jpeg
5D88977B-C775-4684-A0BA-71A59BEDE11D.jpeg
I then managed to put down some new plywood in the racing section.
This is the section where the old ply was breaking up a bit so I had laid the lino down. To start with it was very good but a year on it was starting to rip and was making scraping out difficult. It was worth a try but I won’t try it again.
BEB3B2A4-C6A9-445D-8042-B274201E008B.jpeg
62D9910C-2886-4B6F-8E39-3CFCB67FCE15.jpeg
I was surprised how unfazed the birds were with it. I laid it in 2 halves. I first took the old lino out and put the first sheet of ply in. I had to shut the cock bird that was sitting the eggs in the floor in the corner in a box while I lifted his nest bowl up and slid the board underneath it. I then opened the box and he shot straight back onto the nest. There were other birds in the loft although the front was open they didn’t bother going out. By the time I had cut the second sheet to size all the birds were in. I just went in with the sheet of ply and laid it down having to make sure I didn’t squash any underneath it lol. I haven’t screwed it down yet but looks much better and should be easier to clean out.
I have still got the stock section and youngbird loft to do.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Buster121

Looking good Andy, however make sure you fill the gaps with sealent or caulk as seed will go down and encourage critters, will also go off and if birds eat any could make them ill, not teaching you to suck eggs trying to be helpful, the shed door looks close as well does it open ok lol lol lol
Andy

Buster121 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:16 am Looking good Andy, however make sure you fill the gaps with sealent or caulk as seed will go down and encourage critters, will also go off and if birds eat any could make them ill, not teaching you to suck eggs trying to be helpful, the shed door looks close as well does it open ok lol lol lol
I have got some sealer so will do that. 👍. The shed door does open ok but a bit tight after half open. I will have to see what happens if it swells when wet. May need a bit of adjustment.
Murray

That is a nice job, Andy. :D I agree, I would be using generous amounts of sealant around the edges.
That plywood looks different to what we get down under. We get pine plywood, while I suspect that is birch?
In any case, I would be getting that drinker off the floor.
I don't care what the marketing says, plywood does not like getting wet, as I have found to my cost before. :evil:
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Buster121

Andy wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:49 am
Buster121 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:16 am Looking good Andy, however make sure you fill the gaps with sealent or caulk as seed will go down and encourage critters, will also go off and if birds eat any could make them ill, not teaching you to suck eggs trying to be helpful, the shed door looks close as well does it open ok lol lol lol
I have got some sealer so will do that. 👍. The shed door does open ok but a bit tight after half open. I will have to see what happens if it swells when wet. May need a bit of adjustment.
RE the door that was my thinking when swells, also instead of sealent you could run a strip of wood along the front and seal it that way, another thing when you fix floor down use sealent under it instead of nailing it down, is the ply the thin stuff as it looks it?
Buster121

Murray wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:22 am That is a nice job, Andy. :D I agree, I would be using generous amounts of sealant around the edges.
That plywood looks different to what we get down under. We get pine plywood, while I suspect that is birch?
In any case, I would be getting that drinker off the floor.
I don't care what the marketing says, plywood does not like getting wet, as I have found to my cost before. :evil:
Have to agree with that
Andy

Buster121 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:11 am
Andy wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:49 am
RE the door that was my thinking when swells, also instead of sealent you could run a strip of wood along the front and seal it that way, another thing when you fix floor down use sealent under it instead of nailing it down, is the ply the thin stuff as it looks it?
I did think about running a batten around the edges. Could be the answer. That is the problem with trying to put a floor down in an existing loft. Ideally you would lay that first before doing the frame work. It is 9mm. I could have gone for 6mm but decided that would be too thin. It is WBP hardwood so should be pretty water proof but I do take the point of moving the drinker up. Good idea about sealant rather than screws or nails.
Trev

Good job Andy and some good points made by Buster and Muzza 👍 Its something I may have to do at some point in the future so your comments will help me too, well done guys.