Advice

Talk about anything here. ( non pigeon related please)
Murray

Hi Daz, welcome to the site.
You have good advice from the members, but I would offer a couple of other thoughts. 20 pigeons is perfectly adequate, I am a small loft flyer myself. A small team can be very enjoyable.
BUT a small loft must still have the same requirements as a big fancy loft. It must be dry, it must have good ventilation without the birds living in drafts, and should be clean. Otherwise you will have health problems.
I have doubts that you will have much success turning old pigeons into racers. They have spent years just living at home, they will find it difficult to learn to fly hard over any distance. Racing is a skill they learn in the first year of their lives.
My advice would be to firstly pick maybe four pairs out of your pigeons and breed a couple of rounds of youngsters off them. Get rid of the rest.
Join your local club and ask advice about the health and feeding of your young birds. This is important. Young birds should be bursting out of the loft and flying like rockets. Then you can train and race them.
It sounds a bit mean, but if your old birds are any good you can breed a nice team of young birds off them and enjoy racing them. I fear trying to train your old pigeons will only lead to disappointment.
I wish you all the best, keep us up to date with developments.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Devo1956

I am sure you have a lot to think about Daz, just enjoy time with your birds. Also plan ahead on what is best for you and the birds. I hope you get time to do few posts and carry on with any questions you have.
George and Morgan

Daz this was a very successful fancier with a very small loft
Attachments
Ron-at-Loft-450.jpg
Devo1956

George and Morgan wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:00 pm Daz this was a very successful fancier with a very small loft
I agree George, small loft but big flyer.
Daz

Thanks for all the reply a lot to go with there cheers.
Trev

Daz wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:16 pm Thanks for all the reply a lot to go with there cheers.
Let us know how things go Daz, all the best.