Advice

Talk about anything here. ( non pigeon related please)
Daz

Hi I currently have 20 racers in a small loft ( space limited) these pigeons are of various ages between 3 and 6 years old, I have joined clubs In the past but never actually raced.
just wondering what would be best for me with regards to racing, I have been told to get rid and start again (some birds have no rings) to just race cocks or hens, would I be able to race the birds I have.
Would I be able to split hens and just race them I would just like a small team, and to keep as simple as possible just some advice please,.
Trev

Hi Daz I hope you and yours are well.
20 is a decent number mate and absolutely no reason why you shouldn't compete with a small team, the only thing is to keep it to those numbers you will have to be tough on the birds. Unfortunately other than breed from them you won't be able to do much with the unrung ones and if you need the space they should probably go. There is no reason why you can't race what you have, yes they are getting a little on the old side, especially the 5 & 6 year olds but if they are fit enough they still have a few years in them yet. If I were you I would start by training them out as far as you feel you can, including the unrung ones and see what returns.
Are you already in a club and do you have rings for this year ??
I'd select two or three pairs to breed a couple of rounds of youngsters from, with your space and plans I would probably start by breeding about a dozen youngsters this year and try to race everything you can as far as they can go, then hopefully by the end of this season you will have the foundations of a team that you can start to build on in future years.
There are plenty of topics on here that may help you and on line in general so read as much as you can, take as much advice as you can, but ultimately find a method that works for you. It will be a stiff learning curve and you will probably lose a fair few birds and may have to have broad shoulders for a season or two but stick with it.
Look forward to hearing more from you and following your progress, all the best.
Devo1956

Hi Daz, hope your day is going well. First of all what area do you live? I ask this because a member may live close to you, or a friend of another member. That could maybe pop over to your loft and go through things with you , and give you advice. In this sport there are no daft questions, so if you have any questions just ask.
I think what you have wrote, you will have to start off with the basics, which is far better in the long run. You will then soon find out about the selection of your birds, you need to know what you have in the loft. I would join your local club and keep coming on the site and join in with the topics. The other members on this site will help you as much as they can.
Good to hear from you, keep it going.
Andy

Hi Daz. Good to see you on the site and posting. I agree with what has already been said. The main thing in this sport is: enjoy what you’re doing, if things become a chore it won’t be enjoyable. I take it the birds you have are flying out? If so that’s a good starting point. I wouldn’t be getting rid of what you have and starting again. You have a few birds to learn with. Better than spending a fortune on stock and making mistakes with them as you will soon get demoralised. If you’re not already a member of a club I would look to join one. I would breed a few youngsters out of what you’ve got and race them as youngsters. With the older birds I would try racing the rung ones. You may well lose most of them but hopefully by then you would already have bred a few youngsters. By next year you will hopefully have a few birds that would have been raced and give you a foundation to build on.
Look forward to hearing more from you and watching your progress. We are hear to help if we can. Plenty of experience on this site.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Buster121

Hi Daz as already been said by others I can only agree with, but adding there is no right or wrong way to do anything with pigeons as any question/answer or advice will always be correct, what you need to do is look at everything and evaluate it all, sorry if that sounds confusing but you will see what I mean further down the line, I wish you all the very best and look forward to seeing some updates as you progress
Daz

Thanks for the reply, I'm not currently in a club last time was during covid, I have had a go a few times over the years but just never been quite ready for one reason or another, just like having pigeons but would like to have a go at racing,
The birds are let out but only a handful fly around 5 min or so the rest sit on house roof, would taking them a few miles be advised ,
Andy

Daz wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:31 pm Thanks for the reply, I'm not currently in a club last time was during covid, I have had a go a few times over the years but just never been quite ready for one reason or another, just like having pigeons but would like to have a go at racing,
The birds are let out but only a handful fly around 5 min or so the rest sit on house roof, would taking them a few miles be advised ,
I wouldn’t try taking them anywhere at present. If you try “training” unfit birds you will just lose them. You train fit pigeons. You don’t train to get them fit. There is no hurry to move them at this time of year. Even if you do decide to race that won’t start until April. I would imagine that the problem is they are too fat. Try cutting their feed back. Depending on your situation feed them twice a day, once would be ok. Put the food down and when they start to move away take away any left. After a few days of restricted food you will hopefully find them flying a bit longer.
They are wonderful creatures to have around.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Devo1956

Well Daz, first of all, I would point out 5 mins flying around the home. Is not going to get the birds fit. for any sort of racing. The ones sitting on the roof, if they are not flying around . They could have health problems. Its only natural for birds wanting to fly when out of the loft. There are some topics on the site on the health of the bird. like i always say stick to the golden rules of remembering this sport is a 365 day sport. Health is paramount so checking around your loft daily, checking birds droppings, gives you signs of the birds health. A dry loft is a good loft, and can keep your birds in good heath, also good ventilation. Making sure of no drafts, also no holes for mice to get into your loft. Now these are just basic points but Paramount.
Like i say any questions, please just ask. Its important for all to share good advice. to promote our sport.
Last edited by Devo1956 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George and Morgan

the ones that drop early are bringing the others down keep the early droppers in
Trev

Daz wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:31 pm Thanks for the reply, I'm not currently in a club last time was during covid, I have had a go a few times over the years but just never been quite ready for one reason or another, just like having pigeons but would like to have a go at racing,
I'd get yourself into a club if you can mate, you should get plenty of help and guidance from other members as well as getting the birds you have tested.
I'd agree with Andy and certainly look at your feeding, they want about 1.5ounces per bird per day. Depending on your time constraints I'd split this into two feedings per day, let the birds out am, once they've stopped flying get them in and fed, then repeat this again in the evening, this of course isn't so easy this time of year if you are working all day. Hopefully after a few days the birds will start to fly better and will trap well once they've finished exercising. It's all about establishing some kind of regime that works for you and that the birds get used to. Because I have problems with hawks around me my birds get shut up in October and stay in until I want to pair up in February, some of the hens are a bit fat so it does take a few days to work that off but it doesn't take long. My birds are on an open loft all summer so can come and go as they please, you don't often see many flying for long but they are up and down all day.