My own thoughts

Post your topics on breeding or family of pigeons here.
Devo1956

Breeding to win in racing pigeons

There are no short cuts to this subject, many have tried and failed. It's all about selection of the right birds needed. Racing pigeons over different distances, you need to know about the racing pigeons DNA, built up performances year on year. A strong family generation of birds and a proven track record, so how do we get this information you ask. Well, it's all down to a pedigree about that racing pigeon. The family lines from the parents to the grandparents, and on to the great grandparents and so on. The more information recorded; this gives you a clear, understanding of the quality of breeding for different distances.

The family genes are so important, when you see going back in the pedigree. Winner on winner are clear indications, that the family genes are reproducing quality in the breeding. You may also see what we call inbreeding in the pedigree, this is clear example of quality through the extending family lines. Sons and Daughters, brothers and sisters along with aunties and uncles, can be seen in the pedigrees. All playing their part in the winning family genes.

There are so many great family lines of racing pigeons, you could say great household names like the Janssen family, Gaby Vandenabeele family. These are just a couple of proven racing pigeon families, over different distances and national champions at the highest level of racing pigeons.

So, if we look at the different distances of racing pigeons. Short distance from 60 miles to 750 + miles, and in the USA the racing pigeons can race up to 1100 miles. So, we have to look for some family lines of birds. That are proven at these longer distances. We could look at the Jan Aarden family of birds, The Dolle is without any doubt, is the best long-distance bird ever.

Over the years, I would have to say the Janssen family. Have been the best breeders of racing pigeons. They have had winners from all over the world, and many breeders of racing pigeons. Have cross bred their own family lines with the Janssen birds. Bringing success to their own pigeon lofts, this has been happening all over Europe. Top breeders swapping their racing pigeons, and cross breeding and the results have been so good. Many national winners have come from this way of breeding.

We have seen a big change in the racing pigeon sport, breeding has become an art for some. One of the biggest breeders over the last few years have been PIPA, not only in breeding. But also, the major auction site of the top birds from around the world.

Another way of breeding is artificial insemination and fertilization of birds, by the Harry Geurts centre based in the Netherlands. Top racing pigeon hens can be taken to the centre, and some of the best stock cocks Viles have been frozen. You can choose what stock cocks vile will go to the hen, this is where artificial insemination takes place. But all at a price to pay for the service.

We all have different views on this subject, and that is what the sport needs.
Buster121

Good read there Dev
Andy

Artificial insemination (A.I) may be quite a new thing in pigeons but is something used for years in cattle. We used A.I when I first started farming 45 years ago. I don’t know how successful it is in pigeons as in cattle you are doing well to get 70% conception. Nowadays most semen used for A.I is sexed meaning you are guaranteed the sex of the offspring.
One of the big differences with pigeons and most other species is that you can use inbreeding and line breeding. Try using this in most other species and you are looking at getting deformed offspring. I love the breeding side but because of the number of genes involved and the millions of different combinations of genes you can get from pairing two things together there are so many unknowns. Every offspring from any two pigeons are unique. They have a combination of genes from both parents and in every offspring these combinations will be different. The advantage of inbreeding is that you will get a few genes that will be duplicated, enhanced. The trouble with this is that this could just as easily be the bad genes as the good ones. The only way to tell is by testing every offspring by racing them. Although I think that some pigeons are breeders rather than racers and so if you think that to be the case then test them for one season testing their offspring.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Trev

A good read again Dev, thanks for posting.
Breeding certainly is key to the success of any creature be it wild or domesticated which is why many creatures put on such impressive mating rituals to ensure they only pair to the strongest partners. We in our sport, as with other sports or livelihoods involving livestock are responsible for trying to improve our stock year on year. There are many different opinions in our sport on how to achieve this which is one of the many things that make this sport so enjoyable. Whether you use pedigrees or not the quickest way to achieve success is having the right set up and stock birds from current winning lofts, I've always said that you can turn a common garden pigeon into a winning family but this would take years of heartache and selective breeding to achieve, probably more years than most of us have lol 😂🤣
I personally have only ever brought 2 or 3 pigeons, most have been gifted from other club members or friends. At the moment due to starting up again a few years ago and taking on pigeons from several different fanciers I don't have what I'd call a proper family of pigeons, this is still very much a work in progress. Years ago I would always have had two main strains which I'd have kept a couple of pairs of each pure and would then cross the best of these two strains together to hopefully produce my best racers. Every few years I might try to introduce something different just to keep trying to move forward as you can very soon come to a standstill. I have had moderate success at Club and federation level but have never set the sport alight so can't profess to have the solution to guaranteed success lol but it is something that I over the next few years will aim to get back to. I have to say I do love reading pedigrees but don't have many birds in my loft at the moment who have come with pedigrees other than those I've had from our club Chairman Dave Bridger.
MIL

I agree with everything in your original post there George

Pedigree is key (closely followed by basket)
Trev

MIL wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:31 am I agree with everything in your original post there George

Pedigree is key (closely followed by basket)
Good to see you enjoying some of other topics on here Mike :D There are a lot that I've still got to catch up on :lol: