Cuttlefish

Want to know anything about feeding or the health of your birds post it here.
Buster121

For those that do or have given this to the birds how do you give it, do you crush it or blitz to a powder
Andy

Tried putting a whole cuttlefish in with mine the other day when thinking they might have been low in calcium. Haven’t touched it.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Devo1956

Andy wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:49 pm Tried putting a whole cuttlefish in with mine the other day when thinking they might have been low in calcium. Haven’t touched it.
You would be better to break it up, and add to the grit pot. Just watch the salt levels.
Buster121

Devo1956 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:57 pm
Andy wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:49 pm Tried putting a whole cuttlefish in with mine the other day when thinking they might have been low in calcium. Haven’t touched it.
You would be better to break it up, and add to the grit pot. Just watch the salt levels.
Didn't think there was salt in it as has been washed
Devo1956

Buster121 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:21 pm
Devo1956 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:57 pm
Didn't think there was salt in it as has been washed
Here you go Buster, Cuttle bones are calcium carbonate, sodium chloride, calcium phosphate, magnesium salts and an abundance of micro-trace elements.
Buster121

Thanks Dev
Trev

Mine get cuttle fish and absolutely love it, especially during racing and breeding they go mad for it. I crush mine with a hammer just enough for them to be able to swallow it, I don't make it too powdery. It was something that Des Coulter always used, the birds used to eat it as he broke it on the path. Don't wash it Buster, you want it straight off the beach as its the natural salts that they go mad for, birds like all animals will only eat what they need so fed naturally won't over eat it.
On the farm you could always tell if you needed to put salt blocks out for the cattle as the cows would start drinking another cows urine !! Like wise they would lick the soil/chalk banks if they were lacking in a vitamin or trace element. All creatures if treated naturally and watched properly will tell you what they need.
Buster121

Trev wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:55 pm Mine get cuttle fish and absolutely love it, especially during racing and breeding they go mad for it. I crush mine with a hammer just enough for them to be able to swallow it, I don't make it too powdery. It was something that Des Coulter always used, the birds used to eat it as he broke it on the path. Don't wash it Buster, you want it straight off the beach as its the natural salts that they go mad for, birds like all animals will only eat what they need so fed naturally won't over eat it.
On the farm you could always tell if you needed to put salt blocks out for the cattle as the cows would start drinking another cows urine !! Like wise they would lick the soil/chalk banks if they were lacking in a vitamin or trace element. All creatures if treated naturally and watched properly will tell you what they need.
Thanks Trev