That time again

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Trev

The hawk is back, I had one killed at our Mum's today and one of my stock birds had a lucky escape at the weekend but has got a big hole in his back so is a little sore. He would have been a goner if I hadn't heard some flapping in Southern water compound behind our garden, thankfully the hawk took off when it saw me leaving the bird behind and I was able to get into the compound and rescue him, I think he will recover. I knew it had been around as while I was cleaning the loft out the birds suddenly took off with some of them crashing in through the traps and others taking to the sky. The worrying thing is that I'm not convinced it was the Sparrow hawk as it looked a bit too big and we apparently now have Goshawks in the area too so that will be fun 🙄😬😳
The birds are only going out for half an hour or so in the evenings at the moment, we go away for a week on Friday but they will be going on lockdown when we get back.
Devo1956

Trev wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:06 pm The hawk is back, I had one killed at our Mum's today and one of my stock birds had a lucky escape at the weekend but has got a big hole in his back so is a little sore. He would have been a goner if I hadn't heard some flapping in Southern water compound behind our garden, thankfully the hawk took off when it saw me leaving the bird behind and I was able to get into the compound and rescue him, I think he will recover. I knew it had been around as while I was cleaning the loft out the birds suddenly took off with some of them crashing in through the traps and others taking to the sky. The worrying thing is that I'm not convinced it was the Sparrow hawk as it looked a bit too big and we apparently now have Goshawks in the area too so that will be fun 🙄😬😳
The birds are only going out for half an hour or so in the evenings at the moment, we go away for a week on Friday but they will be going on lockdown when we get back.
Sorry to hear that Trev, some Honey to help heal the wounds up mate. Yes i agree maybe a Goshawk, you have to pick your moments letting the birds out mate.
Hope all improves.
Murray

They are the bane of our lives, aren't they? There's an assortment of them around here. It always amazes me that even the little ones just venturing out, instinctively fear them.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Andy

I still think more likely a sparrow hawk but could be a goshawk. As you know I lost one last week and have lost 3 in the last couple of weeks or so. Mine don’t go out much now and will be even less soon. I didn’t find any of the bodies so could have been a peregrine here. They do seem to be hunting a lot with the onset of winter. I know a couple of fellow club members were having trouble just prior to the last race.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Buster121

Trev wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:06 pm The hawk is back, I had one killed at our Mum's today and one of my stock birds had a lucky escape at the weekend but has got a big hole in his back so is a little sore. He would have been a goner if I hadn't heard some flapping in Southern water compound behind our garden, thankfully the hawk took off when it saw me leaving the bird behind and I was able to get into the compound and rescue him, I think he will recover. I knew it had been around as while I was cleaning the loft out the birds suddenly took off with some of them crashing in through the traps and others taking to the sky. The worrying thing is that I'm not convinced it was the Sparrow hawk as it looked a bit too big and we apparently now have Goshawks in the area too so that will be fun 🙄😬😳
Sorry to see this mate, hope the injured one recovers well
Buster121

Andy wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:58 am I still think more likely a sparrow hawk but could be a goshawk. As you know I lost one last week and have lost 3 in the last couple of weeks or so. Mine don’t go out much now and will be even less soon. I didn’t find any of the bodies so could have been a peregrine here. They do seem to be hunting a lot with the onset of winter. I know a couple of fellow club members were having trouble just prior to the last race.
Thought was a bit safer your end but not by the looks of it, have any come back
Andy

Buster121 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:15 pm
Andy wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:58 am I still think more likely a sparrow hawk but could be a goshawk. As you know I lost one last week and have lost 3 in the last couple of weeks or so. Mine don’t go out much now and will be even less soon. I didn’t find any of the bodies so could have been a peregrine here. They do seem to be hunting a lot with the onset of winter. I know a couple of fellow club members were having trouble just prior to the last race.
Thought was a bit safer your end but not by the looks of it, have any come back
No I haven’t seen any of them Buster. It's only certain times of the year that I seem to get trouble but is horrible when they just disappear.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Buster121

It is infuriating, was surprised to see only a couple in over 400 miles of traveling this week