Thinking about next year

Topics relating to construction or maintenance of your loft, boxes and pigeon equipment
Buster121

Maybe that was what it was, I just remembered another big loss
Andy

Buster121 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:41 am Maybe that was what it was, I just remembered another big loss
Generally training has always gone well. I haven’t lost any in training the past course of years.
That year was a disaster for some reason.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Andy

George and Morgan wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:46 am and out of those 24 Andy how many have you now
Good question George.
I have 14 of the 24 left. I have 4 of the 5 that were on the day. The first bird that day was a hen from Potter who has been first or second bird on every occasion when sent. The second bird that day was having his second race of the season but the following week he was reported in Gloucester and returned the following week on the transporter. I then lost him from a trainer. Third bird was the latebred hen having her first ever time in a basket. She went on to have 6 race’s during the season and was first bird from the 2 longest races. Fourth bird was Pete’s Muzzabella who ended up having 10 races during the season. Fifth bird was the blue pied of Buster’s. He had 9 races and was first bird from the last 2 races. I had 5 the next day but only have 1 of them left. That’s the 2 year old red grizzle cock. He ended up having 10 races. I have 1 of the 3 that were 2 days late. She was sent by mistake. 1 after 4 days. He had a further 3 races but not on the day from any of them. 1 after 14 days that didn’t have another race. 1 after 16 days he was second bird from his next and only other race. 1 after 22 days, this was a grizzle hen out of your grizzle George. She had 3 more races being first bird from one. 1 after 28 days who had a further 2 races and 3 even later ones that had no further races.
I started this year with 43 yearlings. 39 had 3 x 10 mile trainers as youngsters but were unraced. 4 latebreds that weren’t trained as youngster. Out of the 39 I have 8 left. Out of the 4 latebreds I have 3 left. So 11 from the 43. Not good I know but probably not far off the number expected after 2 years if raced as youngsters.
I started this years racing with 23 youngsters. After racing I have 11 left of which 9 had every race. It will be interesting to see how many of these are left after next season.
Murray

Yep, you would expect to have those sorts of losses.
What interests me is how well some of the boys will take to widowhood, not being bred off pigeons that have been selected for it. Some will adapt straight away, some dont have the personality for it. Won;t relax and rest. That's one trait of the pigeons bred down from the Jansens. They seem to be peaceable and are happy on the widowhood.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Andy

Murray wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:37 pm Yep, you would expect to have those sorts of losses.
What interests me is how well some of the boys will take to widowhood, not being bred off pigeons that have been selected for it. Some will adapt straight away, some dont have the personality for it. Won;t relax and rest. That's one trait of the pigeons bred down from the Jansens. They seem to be peaceable and are happy on the widowhood.
I do think that is one of the big bonuses of widowhood. The cocks have a section with large boxes just to themselves. They should be quiet and content. They spend a lot of time just resting in their boxes with no interruptions or chasing hens. I only found a few that didn’t take to it over the years. I had some good yearlings that took to it well. I would never trap the cocks with food. I would have them shut out while exercising and as soon as I open the trap they should be in. Trapping for their box. Any that don’t trap quickly after a couple of weeks will probably never take to widowhood.
Murray

You will do well, Andy. You have a natural grasp of it. :D
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Buster121

Murray wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:19 pm You will do well, Andy. You have a natural grasp of it. :D
He certainly does