few of this years ybs

Talk about anything here. ( non pigeon related please)
George and Morgan

had 2 ybs to ring to-day 6 days old one was ok the other was a problem got it on in the end
Andy

George and Morgan wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:08 am i'm thinking of bring in a red as i don't have any, do you clean the nest were there are ybs Andy
No I don’t clean the nest bowl out or around the nest bowl until the youngsters are weaned. Unless it gets particularly bad or the parents are wet feeders. I just feel that it all helps to build immunity in the youngsters to whatever might be in the loft.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
George and Morgan

agree with that Andy
Murray

Andy wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:22 pm
George and Morgan wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:08 am i'm thinking of bring in a red as i don't have any, do you clean the nest were there are ybs Andy
No I don’t clean the nest bowl out or around the nest bowl until the youngsters are weaned. Unless it gets particularly bad or the parents are wet feeders. I just feel that it all helps to build immunity in the youngsters to whatever might be in the loft.
This is one area where we will disagree.
I put them in a clean nest bowl when I put the rings on them, and change the bowl any time I see the parents not standing over them. I am conviced they take better care of the squeakers if they are in a clean bowl. Often a nest has been messy, and as soon as I change the nest bowl and take out the dirty paper, the parents are there pumping tucker into them.

Just an observation of mine, and I like things neat and tidy.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Murray

I have a few veeery late babies, off the good pigeons, because I couldn't bring myself to throw the eggs away.

Lovely mealy off one of the red Thone's
008.JPG
One off my good old racer
006.JPG
And a couple off the Melbourne hen, the 600mile pigeon.
010.JPG
I like to keep it clean and tidy. It comes from my early days in racing stables. :)
One piece of straw on the ground would get you a smack in the ear. :(
Attachments
008.JPG
George and Morgan

now that is clean Murray lol at what age do you wean your ybs
Murray

I don't wean them.
They have a feed pot and a small drinker in the nest box. And a bit of the red grit,
They learn to eat and drink and when they are big enough they start jumping out of their box.
Then they can go and join the other youngsters.
They aren't weaned, they just leave home. :lol:
Trev

Murray wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:01 am I have a few veeery late babies, off the good pigeons, because I couldn't bring myself to throw the eggs away.

Lovely mealy off one of the red Thone's
008.JPG
One off my good old racer
006.JPG
And a couple off the Melbourne hen, the 600mile pigeon.010.JPG

I like to keep it clean and tidy. It comes from my early days in racing stables. :)
One piece of straw on the ground would get you a smack in the ear. :(
All looking very smart Muzza and some nice looking babies, never tried news paper in the boxes, I have an abundance so might try it out, it will certainly save on scraping. I will clean around the nest bowls regularly but won't replace the bowl unless it's really filthy. Like you I do like the loft to be neat and tidy but I'm certainly not a clean freak as I do like to encourage natural immunity.
Trev

Murray wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:06 am I don't wean them.
They have a feed pot and a small drinker in the nest box. And a bit of the red grit,
They learn to eat and drink and when they are big enough they start jumping out of their box.
Then they can go and join the other youngsters.
They aren't weaned, they just leave home. :lol:
All my birds are together old and young so mine wean themselves too.
George and Morgan

just put a post up but can't find it will try again posted were i had a pair that would come of the nest when i enter the loft in the end they would tip the nest bowl and eggs got broken fixed it so nest bowl would not tip and thought i'll check if eggs are ok sure there were 2 ybs in the nest will check again to-morrow