Brighton 16/9/23

Post all your results here for others to see.
Andy

This was our last race of the 2023 season. Brighton 102 miles. I sent 9 birds. All 9 of these were having their 8th race, every young bird race. The weather at the liberation point was good from early on but the weather over the combine area was heavy cloud and mist with rain forecast to pass through by midday. It did start to look to be brightening up by late morning so the birds were liberated at 12.00 in a very light East wind, clear skies and warm. I reckoned I could have one before 14.00. By this time instead of the weather improving it was actually getting worse. It had started raining lightly and a bit misty. I eventually had my first one at 14-32. 264 blue cock from Buster. He had been first bird 2 weeks ago. The rain then got heavier and really closed in. I had to wait 45 minutes for my next pigeon. 225 blue chequer cock from Buster was timed at 15-16 followed by 224 blue cock from Buster at 15.17. This cock was first bird last week and was sent feeding two day old youngsters, and 293 blue chequer hen of mine at 15.23. It was then another 45 minutes without another. At 16.10 I had my 5th arrival 274 blue chequer hen of mine. She was absolutely soaked. I had 3 more between 16.30 and 17.00 starting with 300 blue chequer hen of mine at 16.31, 265 blue chequer cock of Busters at 16.41 and 222 the Mealy cock of Busters at 16,58. So by the time I left for the club at 17.45, despite the bad conditions I had 8/9. When I got to the club I phoned Roxanna and she said that the final pigeon, 226 blue hen of Busters had come. Members at the club had better returns than expected but it was the only one that had 100%. Others were a few missing. A couple only had around half of them.
I was a bit behind and would have had to of been in before 13.55 to have won. Dave and John Staddon had the first 4 in the club and fed again with 4 arriving together. Interestingly Dave said they then had to wait an hour and a quarter before they got another and had 21/27 when at the club. It does sound though that most of the missing birds made their way home today even through torrential rain. So they cant have been far away yesterday.

This is the club result:
IMG_2736.jpeg
This is the combine result;
IMG_2743.jpeg
As can be seen our club again dominated the combine result.

So Busters blue cock 264 has followed his 31st combine 2 weeks ago with a 19th combine this week.
I will do a little report of all 11 youngsters that I have left at the end of the season, 6 of them are from Buster plus one bred from a pair of his. Well done Buster.
With the alterations planned I was looking to have 40 birds to over winter. I have 39.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Buster121

Great result and returns Andy on the final and a hard race, really pleased to see they have come ok for you and look forward to seeing them improve next year, well done to the Staddons on yet another fine perfomance, our fed never libbed until 10.45 on Sunday from Cheltenham bought back from original racepoint
George and Morgan

well done Andy are you now not doing any national racing
Andy

George and Morgan wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:12 am well done Andy are you now not doing any national racing
No George not at present. I am not getting involved with vet visits and the difficulty and expense of getting to marking stations and birdage costs just to fly the channel. If any went North I would go with them. I could do the Guernsey races where none of this is needed but can’t see the point of paying £3 per bird to get the same distance that I can with the combine for 85p per bird.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.