Life in Bendigo.

Talk about anything here. ( non pigeon related please)
Trev

Murray wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:41 am A peaceful home is a great blessing.001.JPG
They have such a tough life bless them ;) :lol: :lol:
Trev

Murray wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:51 am 008.JPGIn preparation for training up, I gave the hampers a tidy up and a coat of paint.
Good job mate 👍
Murray

I picked out 9 hens and 9 cocks to go to the three mile point on Saturday.
I picked out 9 hens and 9 cocks to go to the three mile point on Sunday.
That was interesting.
I am down a few, including one that had pedigree longer than your arm. Gay pied blue bar. The falcon had that one, for sure.
I also lost a couple on Sunday when a falcon tore into them, a young cock pigeon flew into the edge of a neighbor's shed and killed himself. :evil:
So I am down 6.
And this is week 1. :shock:
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Andy

That’s not good Murray. It is so frustrating losing pigeons that way and from such short distances. Doesn’t give them any chance to prove themselves. Hope you get something work back.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Murray

My darling wife called me to say that a mealy had landed and she had put it away.
It isn't so much a mealy as a light red chequer, off one of the expensive red Thone' boys, but she called me, described it, and put it away.
And, how blessed is a man who finds a good wife? :)
Andy

Too true Murray. 😊
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Trev

Murray wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:03 am My darling wife called me to say that a mealy had landed and she had put it away.
It isn't so much a mealy as a light red chequer, off one of the expensive red Thone' boys, but she called me, described it, and put it away.
And, how blessed is a man who finds a good wife? :)
Very true Muzza 👍😀
Sorry to hear your first weekend didn't quite go to plan, it is frustrating and demoralizing after all the love, care and effort we put in to lose birds that way.
Good to hear the Mealey has made it back safely, hopefully a few more will too.
Onwards and upwards mate, all the best.
Murray

Late this afternoon I was walking past the table on the patio, and a baby magpie ran up to me on the table.
I had a tin of pigeon food so I put some in my hand and held it out. It immediately started picking up grains and dropping them, it was hungry, but this was not what it wanted.
I called out to my wife. She brought me some of the dry cat food we feed the magpies. The little one ate them out my hand, one after another. When it had had enough, away it went.
This is not a tame magpie. This is a wild bird.
We feed the magpies, some of them are very confident, they will walk up to you, but this was a new thing. The baby magpie had no fear of me at all.
I am sure it will be back, I will try to get a picture.
Trev

Murray wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:34 am Late this afternoon I was walking past the table on the patio, and a baby magpie ran up to me on the table.
I had a tin of pigeon food so I put some in my hand and held it out. It immediately started picking up grains and dropping them, it was hungry, but this was not what it wanted.
I called out to my wife. She brought me some of the dry cat food we feed the magpies. The little one ate them out my hand, one after another. When it had had enough, away it went.
This is not a tame magpie. This is a wild bird.
We feed the magpies, some of them are very confident, they will walk up to you, but this was a new thing. The baby magpie had no fear of me at all.
I am sure it will be back, I will try to get a picture.
You really are Mr and Mrs Doolittle aren't you Muzza 👍😀 it just shows that if you take the time most creatures can tell who they can trust and who they can't. Look forward to seeing some pics when you get them mate 👍
Murray

:D Yep, Trev, we are.
Here's Catherine feeding an adult magpie. It took about 20 cat biscuits out of her hand while I took pictures.
We have that horrible plastic tablecloth there because the magpies won't stay off it.

At the weekend, my wife has a sleep in. During the week she gets up and sends me off to work with a lunch and a kiss and a quick prayer.
When she gets up, she always asks, have the magpies been fed?
I reply, the cats have been fed, the pigeons have been fed, the magpies have been fed, the fish have been fed, the little wild doves have been fed, and hopefully, soon, I will be fed too! :lol: