Life in Bendigo.

Talk about anything here. ( non pigeon related please)
Murray

Yesterday, I got home a bit early, as I had started a lot early, and, of course, immediately let the birds out.

What a disaster

The birds were a bit reluctant to go out, but in twos and threes and fours they went out. They knew something I had not seen.
Next thing there was a Goshawk diving among them, making them panic and fly in all directions, pigeons hitting windows, trying to get in the loft, but the hawk was pushing them down onto the ground.....

It was almost dark when I finally got them to drop in, 45 pigeons in 45 seconds.

The Goshawk cannot catch them when they are up and flying fast in a mob. But it makes an awful mess when they are not flying or near the ground.

Today I was half scared to let them out, but the hawk was elsewhere. I let them out. They had a nice fly and went away good as gold. But still very nervous.

:evil: I am not happy.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Buster121

Not got goshawk by me but fully aware of the dangers from them, glad all home hopefully none the worse for it
Murray

Thanks Buster, yes they are all there and all fine.

It's interesting that the real old timers, like Gordon who must be 8 or 9, and the old original Jansens and Van Loons, who are 10 or 11 years old, were up with them the whole time, and must have flown for nearly two hours. I was pleased about that, because I knew that if the old pigeons stayed with them they would bring them down before dark.

Because I am trying to hold these young birds, (nearly yearlings now), back, I am usually only letting them out at about 4.15 in the afternoon. It's getting near sunset by 5, and they are happy to go in. So they are only getting 40 or 45 minutes of exercise during the week. Also I have them on a lighter mixture, although they still have as much of it as they want. They are still as fit and healthy as anything, and it will take about 10 seconds to get them race fit. :lol:

We are past the shortest day, the days are starting to get longer, and it will be difficult to stop them getting too fit too soon. They are very well.
Buster121

Good all going to plan mate
Andy

Good to hear all going well. The goshawk is a killing machine. It will chase them on the ground and through bushes. Our secretary moved a few years ago and had 44 birds ready to race when a goshawk turned up. Within a week he was down to 4 that could race. The rest were either killed or badly injured. He is giving up at the end of the season as he hasn’t had them out for about 6 months now as every time he let them out they would be attacked. There are 2 pairs around him.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Murray

Yes, Andy, this thing is an absolute nightmare. It chases them into windows, it gets over them and tries to fly them into the ground. Pardon the language, but it is a bastard of a thing.
The problem is, there is a big gum tree growing just over the back fence, in the neighbour's place. The gossie lurks up there.
Fortunately it has moved away for the last few days. But it will be back.
We have been doing some research, and it seems the best solution is a good slingshot. I don't want to kill it, but it is going to get a pebble right in it's bottom every time it starts trying to stalk my pigeons.
That should work.
Buster121

Has to be worth a try, anything to deter has to be good
Murray

It's been a cold, miserable day in Bendigo. Unlike yesterday which was cold but clear, it's been cold and cloudy, with a mean wind.
Bitter.
The birds were out for a quick spin and putting themselves away before I had scraped out and changed the water.
They were very hungry, I reckon they ate nearly twice as much as usual. I kept feeding them until they stopped eating.
It's cold. :shock:
Murray

I have been not very well..

Sore throat, headache, coughing. Of course I always cough, I have emphysema, so that's nothing new. After a couple of days of this, yesterday i started shivering and shaking and felt terrible, Last evening I had a long hot shower and put myself to bed.

Woke up this morning not exactly rearing to go, but I am ok. Blessed with a good immune system. :D
Andy

Hope you feel back to normal soon.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.