Starting out

Need any help or advice post it here.
Murray

Yep, they will do that alright, little rat bags :lol:
Make sure your wires are close together and they can't push them apart.
I don't use wires, I used a flap for a long time and now I use sputniks. They can't get back out of a sputnik trap, you would think. Wrong. :o
I have a red stock pigeon that can stand in the trap and jump the 400 mm up through the hole.
Put a board over the trap when they aren't using it. That'll stop him.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
Trev

I always have one or two that manage that with two out of three of my traps, including the bought ETS one, infact that's the easiest one !! They only need to be able to get a foot hold and some will manage it. I don't worry too much now, the traps are shut off when the birds are in, it can be a bit annoying on race days though 😬😕
Yes Muzza, I've had birds get out of the Sputniks too mate !!
Daz71

morning all thanks for the info, yes there is a board inside, should I remove it? I do have a board that covers the wire's when not in use, only I had a bird go missing for around 5hrs so wanted to leave the trap open for its safe return but one bugger got out, so had to put all birds in a basket until the lone ranger returned not ideal, but at least it did return, all the birds are flying around the loft for around 45min apart from the one bird that keeps breaking away & returns after about 2hrs so all seems to be going well..
Andy

I think I would leave things as they are. Maybe just make sure the gaps in the bob wires aren’t too wide. Good to hear all is going well.
It is just one of those annoying little things that happen sometimes.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Buster121

Daz71 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:20 am morning all thanks for the info, yes there is a board inside, should I remove it? I do have a board that covers the wire's when not in use, only I had a bird go missing for around 5hrs so wanted to leave the trap open for its safe return but one bugger got out, so had to put all birds in a basket until the lone ranger returned not ideal, but at least it did return, all the birds are flying around the loft for around 45min apart from the one bird that keeps breaking away & returns after about 2hrs so all seems to be going well..
Good to see all going well
Trev

Daz71 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:20 am morning all thanks for the info, yes there is a board inside, should I remove it? I do have a board that covers the wire's when not in use, only I had a bird go missing for around 5hrs so wanted to leave the trap open for its safe return but one bugger got out, so had to put all birds in a basket until the lone ranger returned not ideal, but at least it did return, all the birds are flying around the loft for around 45min apart from the one bird that keeps breaking away & returns after about 2hrs so all seems to be going well..
Good news Daz, well done 👍 it sounds like all is going well, as Andy said, I wouldn't worry about changing too much, you might find as the bird fills out that it won't be able to get through the wires eventually. Having said that you probably don't need the board there, the birds will still come in and out ok, you could even find that one bird starts using it as perch and then could stop others going in or out of the trap !! If this happens then I would remove it.
Daz71

Two birds have started to use the inner board as a perch & when I try to get the birds in that have been out for longer with some feed on the landing board the ones already home start going mad on the inner board spooking the one's trying to trap so I think I'd better remove it?
Trev

Daz71 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:40 pm Two birds have started to use the inner board as a perch & when I try to get the birds in that have been out for longer with some feed on the landing board the ones already home start going mad on the inner board spooking the one's trying to trap so I think I'd better remove it?
In that case Daz, then yes, I would remove it 👍🤠
Daz71

This Pigeon lark is one big learning curve
Buster121

Daz71 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:12 pm This Pigeon lark is one big learning curve
You will still be saying the same thing in 20 years time :lol: :lol: :lol: