Fats / carbs

Want to know anything about feeding or the health of your birds post it here.
Devo1956

Anthony webster wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:47 pm My opinion you struggle feeding hemp n hearts Friday another thing is sunflower hearts are so dodgy they cab turn in a second and make ya pigeons unwell,,
If you ever feed sunflower eat a piece first if ya lips go tingle then there off and will knock ya pigeons of form,,
This is only my opinion lads but iv never had a good race giving fats end of week I like fats on Tues n wens but I know 50 different good flyers n all 50 feed different,
One thing I like is hemp on these cold early races but not as it gets warm.
Yes Anthony, there are many ways of feeding your birds, put 30 members in a room and they will have different systems. But we must remember the vits and amino acids to combine with any feed.
Anthony webster
Great Britain

Devo1956 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:50 pm
Anthony webster wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:47 pm My opinion you struggle feeding hemp n hearts Friday another thing is sunflower hearts are so dodgy they cab turn in a second and make ya pigeons unwell,,
If you ever feed sunflower eat a piece first if ya lips go tingle then there off and will knock ya pigeons of form,,
This is only my opinion lads but iv never had a good race giving fats end of week I like fats on Tues n wens but I know 50 different good flyers n all 50 feed different,
Yes Anthony, there are many ways of feeding your birds, put 30 members in a room and they will have different systems. But we must remember the vits and amino acids to combine with any feed.
Yes Devo I study feed n nutrition I did when conditioning horses n running dogs, my opinion multi vits are so dangerous when racing if you see how they restrict stamina in a horse you never use one on a racing pigeon,
Iv charts here for gms of fat needed from 800ypm to 2000ypm from 60 miles to 500 miles all so daily logs from my racing these are so important to me because wind temp distance iv normally a weekly log to a fed win to follow,
Totally agree about 30 members all feeding different the daft thing is the losers think feeding is a art where it's a very minor thing, but find me 30 members that win that ain't dedicated every day of the Yr and find me a winner that don't hate being beat lol.
Devo1956

Anthony webster wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:35 pm
Devo1956 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:50 pm
Yes Devo I study feed n nutrition I did when conditioning horses n running dogs, my opinion multi vits are so dangerous when racing if you see how they restrict stamina in a horse you never use one on a racing pigeon,
Iv charts here for gms of fat needed from 800ypm to 2000ypm from 60 miles to 500 miles all so daily logs from my racing these are so important to me because wind temp distance iv normally a weekly log to a fed win to follow,
Totally agree about 30 members all feeding different the daft thing is the losers think feeding is a art where it's a very minor thing, but find me 30 members that win that ain't dedicated every day of the Yr and find me a winner that don't hate being beat lol.
Yes Anthony, i have been involved in Horse racing, Greyhound racing and pigeon racing. Its been in my blood since i was a youngsters. Yes we all have our different ways, its all about getting the results, which i am sure you know.
NeilA

Had a lot better performance by my hens this week
Last week I had 4 cocks before a hens the week before 8 cocks 2 hens
This week I fat loaded the hens early like Anthony mentioned
I fat loaded Tuesday and Wednesday
Then just high carbs Thursday
I would say I had 50/50 split on returns my first 3 was 1 cock 2 hens together then 2 cocks 1 hen3 mins after the first 3 doing 1280 so not a easy day
I don’t really want to change my cocks feeding as it’s been so good to me but I did see an improvement in the hens for sure .
Anthony webster
Great Britain

NeilA wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:08 pm Had a lot better performance by my hens this week
I would say I had 50/50 split on returns my first 3 was 1 cock 2 hens together then 2 cocks 1 hen3 mins after the first 3 doing 1280 so not a easy day
I don’t really want to change my cocks feeding as it’s been so good to me but I did see an improvement in the hens for sure .
Glad they come for you pal 👍
Buster121

NeilA wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:08 pm Had a lot better performance by my hens this week
Well done, also to Anthony for the advice
Murray

NeilA wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:16 am
Murray wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:34 am This is an interesting topic, because it is an opportunity to look at the trend towards feeding one mixture every day of the week to every pigeon.
This is not a new thing. Jos. Van Limpt 'De Klak' always bought the same grain mixture and every pigeon ate it every day. And how great was De Klak?
When I was racing widowhood in NZ years ago I used to faff around with depuritive and building them up.............
Waste of time.
For some years I have fed my "regular mix" to everything every day. It is nothing special to look at. It's got some of everything. Not too many legumes.
With nest babies they get a pot of peas. If it's minus mumble degrees they get a handful of maize. It's just common sense.
The point is, the race pigeons, eat that mixture every day of their lives. The digestive system is used to it so they have no upsets. The metabolism is used to it so the energy levels aren't up and down.
For any distance from a 10 mile training toss to a 300 mile race, if you have a good mixture with a balance of carbs and fats, and importantly, bugger all legumes, you are on safe ground.
If "fairly good" flyers like Jos Thone" are moving to a one mix diet, that's good enough for me.
Racehorses get the same diet every day, whether they are going 6 furlongs or 3 miles. Think about it.......
Would the fats / carbs ratio not change in your mix from sat inthe loft sunday to preparing for a 250 mile head wind on Wednesday/ Thursday
Very unlikely.
My regular mix, which make myself, is high in fats and carbs anyway.
They have eaten that for breakfast and supper every day right through. Their metabolism is used to it and they tend to stay very energetic on it. The only time it goes pear shaped is when I get too clever and start meddling with the feed.
We need to remember that just because we are feeding a mixture with a certain ratio of carbs/fats/proteins does not mean the pigeons are utilising the nutrients in that ratio. They use what they need.
Many times I have said that what you are feeding is far less important than what you are feeding it to. Fit pigeons that are just bursting with vitality, that's how you win races. The best tool in your possession is your eyes, but they need to be looking at the pigeons, not into a feed bag.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for verily, he shall not be disappointed.
NeilA

No sure on that Murray
It would seem strange to me to not try to get everything right to compete if you are able to get good pigeons it would be neglect to me if I didn’t try to feed so energy etc is at its highest race day for the sake of a couple mins a day working out a mix
Devo1956

My little mix for my streeters, they come every day. lol
Attachments
thumbnail - 2024-05-06T184947.349.jpeg
thumbnail - 2024-05-06T085640.417.jpeg
Last edited by Devo1956 on Mon May 06, 2024 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Buster121

They certainly look well on it