Young birds, yearlings and old birds.

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
George and Morgan

i see a yearling leading the Lerwick race with no birds on the day
George and Morgan

George and Morgan wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:13 pm i see a yearling leading the Lerwick race with no birds on the day
looks like flying 529 mls
Andy

Just 30 birds were recorded from Lerwick from 1079 by the end of the second day. I don’t know the ages of any from the NRCC but of these but there were 6 birds from the BBC, 3 from one fancier. These were a 2 year old, two 3 year olds, two 4 year olds and a 6 year old. It has been a very hard race and obviously not one for yearlings.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Andy

George and Morgan wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:13 pm i see a yearling leading the Lerwick race with no birds on the day
Yes I see that the winner of the NRCC is a yearling. The only yearling timed with most 3 or 4 year olds.
Andy

No birds recorded further than 529 miles. Still 100 miles short of what I would be.
killer

What’s gone wrong ,I know it’s hard at the distance ,but 90% are preparing them with older birds ,keeping them for what ,
George and Morgan

Andy you say 529mls is 100mls short of what you need i think you need to take a look at your results this year and ask yourself if your going backwards you have very heavy losses and you blame the birds you also struggle to get a bird on the day from just over 100mls one of the problems you have is no club racing if you had this i think your losses would be less and to be honest do you have birds to fly over 600mls can any member say birds they sent Andy could fly 600mls i don't think so then we come to training i'm sorry but don't share your view on this i do understand the shop comes first and must always do having said this i still look forward to see how you do with the ybs and wish you a very good season with them
Andy

killer wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:43 pm What’s gone wrong ,I know it’s hard at the distance ,but 90% are preparing them with older birds ,keeping them for what ,
There have only been a further 4 pigeons recorded today, 3rd day. There are reports of birds still being on the Shetland Island that have never left. Also they reckon that there were 20ft waves in the North Sea with gusts in excess of 30mph headwind.

Looking at the UK returns from the Pau international, which was brought back to Bordeaux and released yesterday morning after 6 days in the basket, there are 67 birds back. There is just one yearling a few 2 year olds with the majority 3 & 4 year olds. The eldest is an 8 year old.
Andy

George and Morgan wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:57 am Andy you say 529mls is 100mls short of what you need i think you need to take a look at your results this year and ask yourself if your going backwards you have very heavy losses and you blame the birds you also struggle to get a bird on the day from just over 100mls one of the problems you have is no club racing if you had this i think your losses would be less and to be honest do you have birds to fly over 600mls can any member say birds they sent Andy could fly 600mls i don't think so then we come to training i'm sorry but don't share your view on this i do understand the shop comes first and must always do having said this i still look forward to see how you do with the ybs and wish you a very good season with them
Club racing isn’t an option for me George as there are no clubs local to me. No I’m certainly not going backwards. I haven’t had particularly heavy losses as you say, I have got as many yearlings left as you would expect from last years young birds and most of the ones lost I’m not all that surprised with. If they had been raced as youngsters I’m sure most of the ones I’ve lost this year would have gone anyway. I had some nice looking yearlings bred from last years stock birds but have almost none left. Fortunately I haven’t bred much from these this year. These birds are being raced against the top fliers in the country and in big national races and not Micky mouse club races or one loft races where birds are all going in the same direction. My shortest race is Guernsey 107 miles but the birds will be doing far more than that. I sent 3 birds to the longest race I competed in this year, Hexham 269 miles. A hard race into a strong SW headwind where I was one of the longest fliers and one of the most westerly, I got all 3.
As far as training goes I know of a good fancier that I talk to regularly who trained his birds both on his own and in group training. They were also raced in a club as youngsters. He has sent to most of the races that I have sent to and he has one bird left and that bird hasn’t been on the day yet.
George and Morgan

Andy how many birds did you race this year and how many did you get on the day