Not so good today

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Andy

As you know I have my birds on open loft. Today I seem to be missing a pigeon. It is the hen that was my first bird on Saturday. I fear that is the last I’ll see of her.
On another note, following a couple of recent statements from the RPRA I think my racing will be finished for the old birds in a couple of weeks. I don’t have a race this coming weekend and have another Guernsey the week after, which could be my last of the season.
The loft registration with DEFRA goes live at 10pm on 24th May. Following this we have got to register with a vet to be able to fly the channel. Then it looks like we have got to have a loft visit from a vet before we can send over the channel. This could cost around £100. With a young team of mainly yearlings and the potential race program only being possibly one national race before the internationals I don’t see paying that for just one race. I could turn them North but would again only get 2 more races so may just send what I have to Guernsey and stop them for this season. They would have had at least 2 races flying over the channel from Guernsey. I will then see what these clubs are doing for next year before deciding what to do. I don’t mind registering and paying the vet if I’m going to be able to get a few channel races. If the BICC don’t get enough registrations quicker enough they may still have another Guernsey which I would send too.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
Murray

How disappointing, losing that hen, Andy. You may be right, if she's gone, she is probably gone for good.

No, spending 100 pounds on a vet so you can send to the Continent once, that's not viable.
Very frustrating for you.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Buster121

Hope she does return mate but have to agree not looking very hopeful, I seen on chat some of the vets charges and have to say mindblowing they even want fuel costs as well
Andy

Buster121 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:21 pm Hope she does return mate but have to agree not looking very hopeful, I seen on chat some of the vets charges and have to say mindblowing they even want fuel costs as well
As I said Buster I wouldn’t mind paying if I was going to get a whole season of channel races and had some older birds to send to the longer races but as it stands I think they will only have one race at around 300 miles before going into the internationals which are all over 500 miles. Too far for my yearlings.
I am happier to stop them with having had the bit of experience they have had than switch them North. If there is a program of North road racing next year I don’t mind as long as we know we’ll in advance. It is a shame as I was looking forward to a longer season this year after last year’s troubles.
I may give a few youngsters a couple of races but these too would only be from Guernsey. They will be trained even if not raced.
Andy

No sign of the hen today. I did have another one back from Saturdays race this morning, a 2 year old cock.
Buster121

Andy wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:46 pm No sign of the hen today. I did have another one back from Saturdays race this morning, a 2 year old cock.
Really is a shame what they have to endure, pleased to see still coming though
Andy

I had a little hen turn up this afternoon from 2 weeks ago. She was having her first race. She has a small injury on one side but otherwise ok.
Buster121

Andy wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:30 pm I had a little hen turn up this afternoon from 2 weeks ago. She was having her first race. She has a small injury on one side but otherwise ok.
Great news mate hope she recovers well
Murray

Good to see them coming home still.
Greetings from the land down under. :D
Trev

Sorry to hear you lost your little hen from last week Andy, what a choker for you 😒😣
Great to hear you have had a couple of others turn though bruv, it's good to know that some are still around and trying to get home.
The message on the RPRA does state that a vet doesn't need to be carried out prior to racing but will need to be carried out with a time not yet specified by defra, this should also be confirmed on the 24th May. We had a message from our club Secretary yesterday sharing the RPRA post and a link to the Vets who are prepared to participate in this and their costs, now most of our members seem to be looking to go with Vet from down your way (Dave Parsons) and it seems that the BICC are promoting him too !!! It is suggested that a more local vets could carry out the loft visits and if several members get together for a visit on the same day the costs can be shared. The trouble I'm having is that the link for online registration only seems to be working on desk top computers and being as I don't have one I can't register 😡😡😣
You could also send send of your birds in the Guernsey any age races later in the year Andy !!!