Pigeons and bad weather

Talk about anything racing pigeon related here aslong as there isnt a section for it.
Andy

The weather today has been terrible. Cold, heavy rain, thunderstorms and windy. I had the widowhoods, cocks and hens, out this morning when the weather wasn’t so bad. Because they have just been repaired and the cocks starting to drive the hens they don’t fly much at present. By the time I had cleaned everything out and fed all most were back in the loft. As always the youngsters were allowed into the aviary during the day. I would normally have let them out for a couple of hours around midday but as the weather was so bad by then and the youngsters are very inexperienced I decided not to let them out. When I went to feed them this afternoon they were like drowned rats. I think despite the weather they had spent most of the time in the aviary. I still let the naturals out. By this time the weather was probably at its worst with a strong wind and rain and thunderstorms close by. Some of the naturals didn’t come out but some did. Half a dozen of them disappeared and I didn’t see them for a while including my 8 year old cock. One hen I just had to watch for a few minutes. This was the 7 year old grizzle hen from George. She was flying quite high. She would dive down into the wind before turning and with the wind behind her she was flying very fast and climbing before once again turning into the wind and diving again. She would disappear for a while but then I could see her diving down from some height. She seemed to be loving it even with the terrible weather. When I shut them up after work there were some very wet pigeons in the loft lol. Although some people say don’t exercise them in bad weather I disagree. They aren’t forced to fly or even come out but they are happy to do so and seem to enjoy battling with the elements from time to time. I certainly wouldn’t train in this weather though as that would be making them fly.
Back just enjoying club racing for the time being.
George and Morgan

lets hope 2 ybs Trev has from her brother fly like that
Buster121

The man couple doors away from me lets his out 365 days a year regardless of weather says it helps if they hit any weather coming from a race
Trev

Once this bloody hawk has gone and mine can go back on an open loft they will be out in all weathers. As with Busters neighbour, Des Coulters birds were out in all weathers, he would even train them in the rain !! The only weather he didn't like was a cold easterly wind !!
Its tye same as everything else Andy, let them do what they naturally want to do !!
The only thing I would say is that as widowhood systems aren't natural and those birds are kept in a very controlled environment is that the cold and wet could easily knock the form off them.
Murray

Buster121 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:12 am The man couple doors away from me lets his out 365 days a year regardless of weather says it helps if they hit any weather coming from a race
I agree with that, but I am too old and past being out in the pouring rain messing about with pigeons! :lol:
When I was racing widowhood they were a bit like hothouse plants. I never let them out in the rain in case it knocked them off form.
Greetings from the land down under. :D