Second trainer for ...

Notifications
Clear all

Second trainer for young birds

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

The weather still has been very hit and miss and so I’ve had to pick when I can train especially as I have to go in the early mornings before work. This morning was forecast to be better so got up early and basketed the 30 youngsters. 

I went to the same place as Monday. Frome show ground where race liberations are from. 10 miles for me.

I let them go in well broken cloud at 6.25am. They done half a circle, they have to as I let them go facing the wrong way only because it gives them a clear liberation over the show ground, and were gone shooting off along the same line as Monday. I got home around 7.00am. Roxanna was still in bed lol. The birds were all back and looked like they had been for a while. So all going well so far. 

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

Buster121 liked
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

Good to hear, Andy. 

May you have a change of luck, and a great season head. 

You deserve it, every possible thing that can go wrong has gone wrong this year. 

After a great start like this, lets all hope that it continues!

I am good! They aren't firing rubber bullets at me. Yet.
Welcome to Victoria, 2021.

ReplyQuote
George & Morgan
(@george-morgan)
Famed Member Registered

good news Andy 

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Great news mate

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @murray

Good to hear, Andy. 

May you have a change of luck, and a great season head. 

You deserve it, every possible thing that can go wrong has gone wrong this year. 

After a great start like this, lets all hope that it continues!

I hope it continues to Murray. I must admit I’m inclined to keep them where they are. I would rather they kept coming well from 10 miles than move them further and get hit by hawks. 

What really is the point of training? What are we trying to achieve? To move them an extra 10 miles would involve a further hour drive for possibly an extra 15 minutes of flying. I think that the fitness is achieved at home. Training is just to get them used to the basket and clearing quickly on release. This can be done with short tosses. When mine return they are left out until their usual feed time. This morning, after returning from the trainer before 7am, they were left out until 8.30. During this time they spent a lot of it flying. This evening they flew well in a strong wind with some disappearing for over an hour. I hear of fanciers who go 30 miles a day and on return get them to trap straight away. They probably flew for about 40 minutes. Who’s got the better work out? Theirs that flew 40 minutes, or mine that flew 15 minutes initially then continued to fly on and off for a further hour and 45 minutes? What did they gain from their trainer that I didn’t from mine? Our pigeons know how to find their way home whether it’s from 10, 30 or 500 miles, training won’t alter that ability. Slightly different if you are sprint racing on a line of flight. 

I also am not overly worried about racing youngsters. I have never found that my best youngster make the best old birds. If some don’t get raced I’m not fussed. I also want to make sure that I have a good team of old birds for next year.

These are just my opinions. 

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

@andy123, I agree.

The point of tossing young birds is not to get them fit. They should be fit and strong before they go in the box. 

I like to find a nice spot and toss there over and over. It teaches them to clear for home without milling around and to increase the tempo. I had a good spot in NZ which was 23 km and a nice spot here which is about 20km. 

By training repeatedly they learn to fly with a bit of urgency. That's all they need. 

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Two good and true posts there from Andy and Murray

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

I still do like to go maybe 20 miles once, 30 miles once, and 40 miles once, if it is possible.

Pigeons, they are smart. If they fly along the race track a few times, they learn it and will know where the break point to home is. 

Of course they will get home without any of that. They are 'homing pigeons'.

But a bit of education can be the difference between a young bird with a result to his name, and a nice one that has done nothing.  

ReplyQuote