One back for Pete

Notifications
Clear all

One back for Pete

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I had to go out today but when I got back home this evening I found GB18Z06200, the blue cock of Pete’s back from the Berwick race on the 28th June. His a bit light but otherwise ok. He will be fine but will now have to decide what to do with him. He is certainly a survivor as I have previously said but does return in his own time. As said before he was lost from Guernsey as a youngster and returned the following spring. Unraced as a yearling. 2 races as a 2 year old being 25 days late from the second one, then returning 6 weeks late from the bad trainer I had early in the year before being sent to Berwick. Maybe being out all winter as a youngster had a long term effect on his mental state. I haven’t tried breeding from him yet so I may try breeding a couple from him next year. 

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Nice to see him back, maybe no good for racing but may have the goods for breeding

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote
George & Morgan
(@george-morgan)
Famed Member Registered

lets put Pete on the spot would you keep him  and breed from him Pete for me if i thought he was fit no if i were to keep him he would have loads of training as that may be what he needs still good to se him home 

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

I would not be breeding from a pigeon like that, myself.

He is a survivor, but that isn't a quality I would be looking for in a good racing pigeon. I would be looking more for tenacity, the ability to be tough and get home in race time. 

Preferably, repeatedly. 

That pigeon is not a racing pigeon. He is a homing pigeon. 

I doubt he will ever amount to much. 

I am good! They aren't firing rubber bullets at me. Yet.
Welcome to Victoria, 2021.

ReplyQuote
Petedav
(@petedav)

Totally agree with Murray,  I think he as had enough chances to prove him self and he hasn't, if he was in my loft I'm afraid he would be gone.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Pigeons like this are difficult to decide what to do with, especially as we are concentrating on the distance. He has proved that he has the homing instinct and the survival instinct which are important factors in long distance racers. What he doesn’t have is the willingness to race home. Maybe he hasn’t got, or I haven’t found, that special thing that makes him want to home quickly. Maybe what happened to him on that first young bird race frightened him so much that survival is his first instinct. We’ll never know.

As far as breeding is concerned, this to me is the most important thing. Good breeders are the backbone of the loft and without them the only way is to continually buy pigeons in. I said from the start of this venture that not only was it to test members pigeons but also to produce a family of distance pigeons around those of members. 

Testing breeders is a much longer process than testing them at racing, especially distance ones. It will be 3 years before you can really test the offspring at the distance. I have said before that it’s not always the best racers that produce the best. 

I haven’t bred from this cock of Pete’s yet. But from the first year, 2018, of youngsters coming in to this venture, this is the only one still here.

This venture is unlike a OLR where the ultimate goal is to just race those competing until a final race where only those left compete. Mainly as youngsters that are then sold off. I don’t think you can tell anything from young bird racing. Very few of my best young birds have gone on to be good old birds. 

Anyway just a few thoughts of mine. 

Here is Pete’s cock this morning.

0B2CC761 C8AE 4EBF B372 08862C3F4032
C53D1AF0 B121 4334 9F5F ACEF110E1DC0

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @petedav

Totally agree with Murray,  I think he as had enough chances to prove him self and he hasn't, if he was in my loft I'm afraid he would be gone.

I was still writing my thoughts and hadn’t seen the posts from Murray or Pete before posting my response. 

I have to agree that he has had his chances to redeem himself and hasn’t done so. Certainly in the past I would have got rid of pigeons like this. I only ever kept pigeons that by the end of the yearling stage had been 1st, 2nd or 3rd club and stock birds that had bred winners. How many potential good distance pigeons had I got rid of? This was when I concentrated more on sprint/middle distance though. Now a days I am certainly a bit softer.  My racing now doesn’t give them as much opportunities to prove themselves. I will certainly have to make a decision at the end of the season depending on how many birds I have left. 

As Murray says it could be a big mistake breeding from him. Am I going to just end up with more like him? But my best ever breeding hen was the full nest sister to my Lerwick winner but was useless at racing herself. 

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

At the end of long conversations, the pigeon is no good.

He gets home when he gets around to it. 

In my opinion he has one future. And no, I don't mean putting him in the bin. 

He needs to be sent to every race he is fit for, until he wakes up and shows something, or goes away.

It's that simple.

I am good! They aren't firing rubber bullets at me. Yet.
Welcome to Victoria, 2021.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @murray

He needs to be sent to every race he is fit for, until he wakes up and shows something, or goes away.

It's that simple.

Not quite that simple lol. By the time he gets back from a race most of the season has gone lol. Old bird season has finished now. This year because of the bad trainer where he was 6 weeks late the season had already started so Berwick was his only race this year. Put straight in at 330miles. The only way to send him further would be to put him straight into either Thurso 530 miles or Lerwick 630 miles. 

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Posted by: @andy123
Posted by: @murray

It's that simple.

Not quite that simple lol. By the time he gets back from a race most of the season has gone lol. Old bird season has finished now. This year because of the bad trainer where he was 6 weeks late the season had already started so Berwick was his only race this year. Put straight in at 330miles. The only way to send him further would be to put him straight into either Thurso 530 miles or Lerwick 630 miles. 

Straight in at that distance needs a medal 😆 😆 

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote