Barcelona young bir...

Notifications
Clear all

Barcelona young birds update  

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
03/05/2020 11:30 pm  

I’ll start with the older ones that are in the main loft.
I have 17 youngsters in here. 1 of my own, 2 from Phil, 4 from Trev, 4 from Leslie and 6 from John & Ben. These 17 are coming on nicely. They are all flying well now. I am having to work on the trapping a bit.
-- attachment is not available --
As you can see from these photos taken last week they should come out through the lower opening and trap through the stall traps, but they were coming in through the opening instead of going through the drop holes lol. Some have been messing me about and whilst waiting for the later ones to come in the others that have had a feed we’re c back out. So this last week any that don’t come straight in, either way, are then made to come in through the drop holes. It’s my own fault really as I haven’t shown them the traps. But after just a few days most are coming in through the traps. I’m not worried as they are youngsters and learning. Unlike some I don’t believe you have to have them regimental from day one. I think it helps them to learn for themselves.
In the young bird loft I have the 6 from Pete and 20 of my own. I did breed 23 myself but culled 1 on weaning and another 2 that I weren’t happy with, 1 of these this afternoon.
Today I have been doing bits in the garden so decided to open up the young bird loft and allow Pete’s, and Murray’s of course that Pete bred, come out if they wanted, they have been having a good look out. I also opened the door so that my younger ones could have a look out. After a while all of Pete’s came out onto the drop boards.
One then decided to fly up onto the top. Worry time.
It did take off at one point and had a flip around but came back down onto the loft.
When I done this loft, as before I put a false ceiling in the sections with the chimney going up into the roof space. The bit at the front I haven’t boarded. Before it was boarded as it was inside the front of the loft. I still hadn’t decided what to do and have spoken to Phil a few times about it. I am tempted to just leave it to give a decent airflow through the roof.
Anyway, I was keeping an eye on the one on top of the loft while working in the garden. I then couldn’t see any of the other ones so went to check in the loft. To my shock no sign of them. At that point I did panic a bit as I hadn’t seen them go anywhere. As I came out of the loft I looked up, and there they were.
😂😂
A bit later 4 of them were on top of the loft.
The 4 older ones I think. 2 of Pete’s and the 2 for Murray. After a while with no sign of them going in and the time the others usually come out I decided to open the other loft up. The old birds and older youngsters went off for their fly, the other 4 stayed on the loft. Once the others came down though, and a lot sit up on the house next to the loft, the 4 all went up with them. I saw them fly off a few times with the others. I did see a couple of them landing on other roof tops and flying as new to flying youngsters do. When I got to get them in, a couple of hours later, 3 of the 6 were in the young bird loft and 1 of Murray’s ones had gone in with the older youngsters. The other 2, 1 of Pete’s and the other for Murray were up on the house, all the others were in by then. By this time it had started to rain lightly. Then they disappeared for a while. After I had some dinner I went to check and they were both down on the old bird trap. I was easily able to catch them both and put them back in the young bird loft. So although these 2 didn’t go back into the loft themselves I hadn’t waited for them to do so, I was very happy that they were all back in the loft safe and sound after having a fly around on their first time out.

buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
04/05/2020 12:11 am  

Things looking well mate, glad all safe

ReplyQuote
rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered
04/05/2020 3:46 am  

looking good Andy

ReplyQuote
Potter29
(@potter29)
04/05/2020 9:16 am  

Looking good mate , y dont you mesh that top gap stop them goin up n still have the air flow 👍🏻

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
04/05/2020 10:09 am  

Looking good mate , y dont you mesh that top gap stop them goin up n still have the air flow 👍🏻

I did think I might have to do that mate. At least they came out on their own ok. I did wonder how I was going to get them out lol.

ReplyQuote
lestheeagle
(@lestheeagle)
Noble Member Registered
04/05/2020 10:11 am  

All the best Andy.

Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.

ReplyQuote
Petedav
(@petedav)
04/05/2020 10:17 am  

All looking good Andy

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
04/05/2020 10:58 am  

They are progressing well, Andy.

They do look well, and are enjoying their adventures. Grin LoL

I am like you. I let my young birds find their own way in and out, and up and down......they learn the system by watching the older ones, and before you know it, they are trapping on the call, like they were born to it!

They are a great team of young birds. You must be pleased.

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
bkays
(@bkays)
Estimable Member Registered
04/05/2020 1:43 pm  

Well done mate!

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
04/05/2020 10:23 pm  

Thanks all.
These are the 17 older youngsters.

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
04/05/2020 10:31 pm  

Nice bunch there mate

ReplyQuote
rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered
04/05/2020 10:35 pm  

very nice Andy just the one grizzle ? I will know next week if I have one

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
04/05/2020 10:41 pm  

very nice Andy just the one grizzle ? I will know next week if I have one

Just the one in their George. That was bred by Trev.
I have 3 in the young bird loft. All Red Grizzles.

ReplyQuote