Notifications
Clear all

Barcelona loft update

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Just giving a quick update.

With the weather changing now and the days getting shorter the birds aren’t being let out so much now. I still let them out if light enough before I go to work or in the afternoon if nice enough. They are still flying well when let out. I did lose one the other day. The young grizzle hen from George that had flown the last race. She just failed to return from exercising. They do still disappear for a while and I can only think that she must have fallen victim to a BOP. 

Most of the strays I had have now gone. I’m just left with the yearling cock from Ireland and the young dark hen that came in with a broken leg. I’m not worried if these 2 stay. I am still in contact with their owners and will transfer them if still here after the winter. 

I have been going through the birds and they are looking good. I have more cocks than hens but not worried about that. I have a few later bred ones that I’m not sure on their sex yet. 

I am going to keep the birds together until around Christmas and won’t be pairing up until end of February/March. 

I am probably going to get a couple more stock pairs. If you recall the old Worthing club which I was a member of when I was a boy had to fold at the beginning of this year due to the death of a couple of members and the stroke that the secretary had. Brian had to pack up a couple of years ago and I had his loft. Most of his birds went to Laurie who died a few months ago. Roy who had a stroke had to get rid of his birds also. Some of Brian and Roy’s birds are now in a shed at mums. Trev is going to try to break some to his loft and some at mums will be broken. I have known these 2 fanciers since I was a young boy. Some of the birds have flown Bordeaux 400+ miles. I think it would be nice for them if I tried some for them. I have said to Trev that I would like to have 2 pairs from them to try out. 

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

George & Morgan
(@george-morgan)
Famed Member Registered

good read again Andy i'm not sure bringing in new stock is the answer i think you need to look at the heavy losses in training and racing you may have decided the birds lost were maybe not good enough and you do need new stock birds what i do think is you need birds that adapt to your routine and system i'm sure you will work it out and be successful you say you bred more cocks than hens i bred more hens than cocks that i;m trying to sort out and it's not easy good luck with the breeding and racing next year

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

If you want to bring in some of the stock pairs, why not? As you say, you have a personal reason to do that.

Whether they will be any help in progressing the Barcelona Test Loft, who knows? Possibly not.

Pigeons that have flown 400 miles are not always the ones that will fly 700 miles, are they?

Still, you have to keep trying different things.

I am good! They aren't firing rubber bullets at me. Yet.
Welcome to Victoria, 2021.

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Good update there Andy hope the new ones  do some good for you

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @george-morgan

good read again Andy i'm not sure bringing in new stock is the answer i think you need to look at the heavy losses in training and racing you may have decided the birds lost were maybe not good enough and you do need new stock birds what i do think is you need birds that adapt to your routine and system i'm sure you will work it out and be successful you say you bred more cocks than hens i bred more hens than cocks that i;m trying to sort out and it's not easy good luck with the breeding and racing next year

I did have a very bad couple of trainers at the start of the season as most know where I lost 20 of my 24 old birds from 18 miles, most of who had flown the channel and some that had flown over 340 miles. After that I only lost 2 old birds racing. One at Elgin 451 miles and one at Thurso 505 miles. I did lose a few youngsters off the loft but this is usual. I didn’t lose any in training but lost 10 racing. I think what I have here have got the potential and am happy with them. But I just feel that it would be nice to continue to be able to test some birds from a couple of good old friends. 

I have got more hens than cocks but are happier that way than the other way around. Spare cocks can become a problem but spare hens will race quite happily unpaired and will be able to pair up if any hens are lost. 

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @murray

If you want to bring in some of the stock pairs, why not? As you say, you have a personal reason to do that.

Whether they will be any help in progressing the Barcelona Test Loft, who knows? Possibly not.

Pigeons that have flown 400 miles are not always the ones that will fly 700 miles, are they?

Still, you have to keep trying different things.

I agree with what you say about 400 mile birds not always being able to fly  700 miles, but in fairness these birds haven’t been tested any further as Bordeaux 413 miles is their furthest race in the fed that they fly in. 

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

These are a few photos taken this morning.

Two of the young bird loft, three inside the young bird loft and one in the old bird loft. 

DB24C7A9 893C 478F A3EB AD925F6BE4DC
D00E0B1A B8CF 4F93 A795 BA94488303AA
B1586992 D2E8 4B44 8BD4 EA85D80ED6B5
791746F3 5B8A 4BAF AD6F 61497FA74CD8
D4BA5073 2C5C 4CF8 8935 B54D34047876
7C9F3D50 0279 453A BD8C 28AEBA57676C

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Nice pics mate, birds looking well, jealous of that sky and sun though

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @buster121

Nice pics mate, birds looking well, jealous of that sky and sun though

It only lasted until early afternoon lol. 

Buster121 liked
ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

The birds look very well and happy, Andy. 

That is all you can do. 👍 

I am good! They aren't firing rubber bullets at me. Yet.
Welcome to Victoria, 2021.

ReplyQuote