Alternative CSCFC p...

Notifications
Clear all

Alternative CSCFC program

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

This is the alternative program put out by the CSCFC today.

I have added what the distances would roughly be to us.

NEW NORTH ROAD RACE PROGRAMME 2021
As the situation on whether we can fly the channel this season is still undecided at present, the Classic Committee have put together a North Road Race Programme for the members. This being on the understanding that if channel racing becomes available we will go across to France.

1st Race – Saturday 8th May ASHBOURNE, Derbyshire (code 4219) 138 mls

2nd Race – Saturday 29th May AYCLIFFE, County Durham (code 4177) 249 mls

3rd Race – Saturday 19th June BERWICK, Northumberland (code 4008) 326 mls

4th Race – Friday 2nd July FRASERBURGH (code 4036) 458 mls

5th Race – Friday 16th July THURSO (code 4115) 522 mls

YB/OH Race – Saturday 21st August GUERNSEY (code 4042)

If the General Licence has still not been reinstated by 8th May then our first race will be 29th May from ASHBOURNE.
For the last two old bird races from Fraserburgh and Thurso we will be joining up with the BBC and going together.
The birdage costs will be reduced per race as well.
ASHBOURNE £2.50 per bird – AYCLIFFE £2.50 per bird – BERWICK £3.00 per bird – FRASERBURGH £4.00 per bird – THURSO £5.00 per bird

killer
(@killer)
Illustrious Member Registered

We are starting the 29th of May out here ,hope you guys get some racing ,

ReplyQuote
grizzlecock
(@grizzlecock)
Reputable Member Registered

Posted by: @killer

We are starting the 29th of May out here ,hope you guys get some racing ,

So you boys have midsummer 21/22 december..that tells us you race later summer autumn time...something like british youngbird racing season....how does that work with your oldbird moult?

This post was modified 1 month ago by grizzlecock

ReplyQuote
killer
(@killer)

We race Winter ,not good re the moult ,my first round was rung early Nov ,to mid Nov just looked at them yesterday one & two to drop ,as we use the light system to try & get them through ,some pairs mature earlier than others ,they are the ones I’m looking for to race ,cheers 

ReplyQuote
grizzlecock
(@grizzlecock)

@killer i meant oldbird racing killer...do you have to use light system for them as well or do you just race babies

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @grizzlecock

@killer i meant oldbird racing killer...do you have to use light system for them as well or do you just race babies

Killer will correct me if I’m wrong Johnny, but I think they race them all together and don’t have separate old and young bird racing. 

ReplyQuote
killer
(@killer)

We out here race Old & Young birds against each other ,yes I use the light system on both ,as the Falcons have got worst every year ,the Young birds mainly beat the older ones ,as I believe the old birds smarten up & go down when attack by the birds of prey ,the babies no know differant I try for home ,in saying that the old birds do better on harder days & faster days with velocity’s  over 2000 metre per minute ,there are exceptions to this but 9 out of 10 races are won with babies , sorry to shock the purists ,

ReplyQuote
grizzlecock
(@grizzlecock)

Its quite obvious for econmical reasons here uk with big numbers of fanciers and clubs finishing....any age racing will become the norm...it has to happen sooner than later

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @grizzlecock

Its quite obvious for econmical reasons here uk with big numbers of fanciers and clubs finishing....any age racing will become the norm...it has to happen sooner than later

The big difference over there Johnny, if I’m right, is that their youngsters have moulted through before they start racing so more like yearlings for us. 

ReplyQuote
killer
(@killer)

Our first round may have ,but our late breeds are carrying 5 to 7 nest flights , so. No they have not all mounted out ,

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @killer

Our first round may have ,but our late breeds are carrying 5 to 7 nest flights , so. No they have not all mounted out ,

What flights will they be on when racing then Killer. Over here it is thought that they are past peak performance once they have dropped their 5th flight and many won’t race birds that are up on their last 3. 

ReplyQuote
killer
(@killer)

Like most I used to worry at the position of the flights ,but it’s nature if in the wild they have to fly in what ever condition there wings are in ,yes a fully moulted wing is an advantage ,but I still think it depends on the indivigal bird ,the only flight I worry about is the BLOOD flight in the middle of the wing ,which can be very sore , you can here it when the birds fly around the loft ,as they do struggle with this flight ,the light system we use is an extra 4 hrs of light a day ,to get them moulting quicker , this system I believe would not work over there as the dark system seems to do the trick by delaying the moult ,which suits summer racing ,as the light system seems to work for our winter racing ,cheers 

buster121 liked
ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Noble Member Registered

This has been an interesting discussion.

I am an orphan in Australia. 

I learned to race pigeons in New Zealand, with young bird racing in the autumn, and old bird racing in the spring. 

I still think like that, after what, 16 years in Australia? I still breed the young birds in the spring, and train them in the autumn. 

My job means that in the winter I get to work an hour after dawn, and get home an hour before dark. Training pigeons is not a thing to consider. So while the local blokes are training their pigeons in the mist and gloom, mine are warm and snug, I dont have to worry about them.

This year there might be an alternative program. Spring start, 150 miles for 8 weeks in a row, I will be the back marker, I can see some young widowhood cocks having a go! {pear}:smile:  

Regards

Murray.

buster121 liked
ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@murray as you say an interesting discussion. Always willing to listen and learn a bit from other members and their methods. Even if on a different continent. 

No reason why you should be a back marker Murray.

What do you mean by the blood flight Killer. You say the middle of the wing! Do you mean the first of the primaries? Or do you mean as each flight is about to erupt from the sheath. I know dad didn’t like to send pigeons that had just dropped a flight or just coming through. Personally I have found that they are often at peak as the flight reaches full length just before throwing the next one. I certainly found when racing widowhood that some of the most inform cocks would keep a flight until the previous one was almost fully grown. Naturals in particular tend to through the next flight when the previous one is little more than half grown. 

ReplyQuote