Notifications
Clear all

All is well in Barcelona loft

Page 1 / 2

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Just a quick update. The birds have been split up since 31st October. They have not been out at all during that time and probably won’t until paired end February early March. I have moved a couple of old cocks that won’t race into the stock section where they will be used as feeders. This has left me with 18 cocks in the old bird section that will all be able to race. There are 28 hens in the young bird loft. 6 stock hens plus 2 that will be used as feeders the other 20 will all be able to be raced. There are a few later bred ones among the 38 race birds but most should still be able to race. 

The stock cocks.

69F03375 740A 44CE BDC3 B8CAB0F19FC9
7A86BEE1 CB0B 43A1 9A65 533A8E7FD25A

The racing cocks

5E1CC12E 90C2 4056 8390 A3E7155E5B23
3BFB11A1 13DA 4F45 A59F 34B38436D35A
06A30A42 9DC2 4E23 8F0F 88CCE803EE26

The hens

DFF2F05A 56E6 459A A695 C036D3F1EC08
CB084327 51A7 493C 96FD 7AECF6CB21A8
8AC71E49 B368 44C4 B6CA CC47C2224C5D

Within the race team we have pigeons either directly or down from all of our members that have been involved. So still some interest for all. 

Last winter following the bout of fat eye in the autumn the birds seemed to have a it loose droppings during the winter and shed very few down feathers. This year so far their droppings are good and there is quite a lot of down every day. They handle and look really well. 

Still rather a lot of uncertainty as to which route we’re going to be flying and with the amount of avian flu about this could affect the start date. I am hoping to give the old birds a few races with the yearlings up to 350 miles and the older ones to 550 miles, depending on what the program and route turns out to be. 

I still won’t be looking to do much racing if any with the youngsters again. Looking at previous years I have jumped pigeons in to races between 150 and 200 miles for their first race and lost very few. Last year I lost just 2 old birds racing. I clocked Pete’s Muzzabella out of Berwick 325 miles in only her second ever race and a yearling hen down from one of Trev’s from Elgin 457 miles in only her second ever race. I have better performances from birds not raced as youngsters than from those that were. 

Just a bit of an update. But all looking good at present. Will update with more photos soon. 

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

Good to hear, Andy.

I get your point about not racing the young birds, as you want to develop them to be long distance pigeons. However I would certainly be giving them a thorough education on the road before putting them aside. 

I have always found that the ones that were not put on the road as youngsters are the first ones lost as yearlings. It appears that tossing them teaches them to orientate from a liberation. 

Ad Schaerlaeckens agrees. He says they really must be educated as youngsters to make good old birds. He is adamant about it. He feels they should be raced as young birds, but failing that they need some decent training trips. 

I have to agree. 

I

ReplyQuote
George & Morgan
(@george-morgan)
Famed Member Registered

good read Andy even if we disagree on the ybs racing any word on joining a club

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Good update there Andy birds looking well as well

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote
devo56
(@devo56)
Member Admin

Nice read mate, good luck with the new season.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @george-morgan

good read Andy even if we disagree on the ybs racing any word on joining a club

George. I am going on what I have found so far with this type of racing. I don’t have any left from previous years that raced as youngsters but still have some that weren’t raced until yearlings. It will be interesting to see if it’s any different with the 8 yearlings that raced inland last year as youngsters. 

Looks like our new club at Warminster is going ahead but nothing been sorted for definite yet. We are going to have a meeting in January to conclude and wrap up the old Frome club. Then we will look to restart the Warminster club. Then we will have to decide what the members want as far as racing is concerned. We may still just use it as a place to do the clocks for the Nationals and not actually club race. 

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Hope all goes well Andy

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)

A good and honest report again Andy, well done. The birds are looking settled enough, lets hope hope you get a little more luck next season as the last couple of years you have suffered with some very unfortunate set backs and conditions but then we knew it was going to be a slow process. I agree with Muzza that youngsters definitely need educating but that doesn't necessarily mean racing, good training could well be enough. I know many distance fliers don't race youngsters but do train them hard, however if you do manage to get your club up and running a few inland races won't do them any harm. Hopefully it could be a successful and exciting year for you and the team bruv 👍🤠 

Are you taking youngsters in again next season ??? 

Very best wishes Andy whatever route we end up going. 

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@trench yes Trev I will be taking youngsters in from members who would still like to send some. I am also going to be breeding some from the birds I have here. 

ReplyQuote
killer
(@killer)
Illustrious Member Registered

Looking good , kept up the good work Randy , sorry I mean Andy lol ,

Buster121 liked
ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @killer

Looking good , kept up the good work Randy , sorry I mean Andy lol ,

😂🤣

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)

Posted by: @andy123

@trench yes Trev I will be taking youngsters in from members who would still like to send some. I am also going to be breeding some from the birds I have here. 

Hopefully some members will still send you a few but it will be nice to start producing a few more from the stock you now have as I know the breeding is the part of sport you really enjoy. 

All the best 

This post was modified 1 month ago by Trevor Hodges

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @trench

Hopefully some members will still send you a few but it will be nice to start producing a few more from the stock you now have as I know the breeding is the part of sport you really enjoy. 

All the best 

I have got a few stock birds I want to breed from and some of the racers. 

I know Buster is going to send some next year and I’m sure Pete will and I’m sure you will. Potter may do again. So will still have a few coming in. We will also select 4 for Murray as we have the last couple of years. 

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)

Posted by: @trench

All the best 

I have got a few stock birds I want to breed from and some of the racers. 

I know Buster is going to send some next year and I’m sure Pete will and I’m sure you will. Potter may do again. So will still have a few coming in. We will also select 4 for Murray as we have the last couple of years. 

I'll send you a few Andy as I have far too many of my own, hopefully I can send you some from Roy's and Brian's birds this year 👍🤠 

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

I have been looking at the logistics of exporting pigeons from Australia to the UK.

It can obviously be done, but as usual, there are people who need to do justify their salaries. 

I am going to do some research into the logistics of sending a hamper full of babies off these mega buck Jos thone' pigeons to the Barcelona Loft. 

They send them from Britain and Europe to Australia all the time. So they should be able to go back? 

It might mean a trip to Gatport Airwick. 

How do you feel about that, Andy?  

I

Buster121 liked
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2