Notifications
Clear all

Training pigeons to the whistle

Page 2 / 3

Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

Just build you own.

It's not difficult. These are actually built into the loft.-- attachment is not available --

I am good! They aren't firing rubber bullets at me. Yet.
Welcome to Victoria, 2021.

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

they work well.-- attachment is not available --

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

.-- attachment is not available --

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

Perches-- attachment is not available ---- attachment is not available ---- attachment is not available --

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

There are several reasons why people keep stock pigeons prisoner, Mizmo.

First, sometimes very large sums are paid for breeding pigeons, and fanciers understandably, are loathe to see that money fly away.

Second, often, pairs of pigeons are kept in separate cages, so the parentage of the offspring is certain. Pigeons are not always very faithful partners. 😆

Third, it is very often a management system that was learned from a mentor, long ago. The main reason most things are done in the pigeon game is, because that's how it has always been done. Simple.

There are a couple of things against it. Free flying pigeons stay fit and vital. Captive pigeons can become fat and unfit, and fertility reduced. All my pigeons fly out, and I have 9 year old stock birds flying like young birds, fit and lean, and have almost 100% fertility in the loft.

Many lofts have excellent facilities for their prisoner birds, with aviaries and baths, all clean and healthy. But I have seen some stock birds living very unhappy lives. I have been told that it doesn't matter, they are only pigeons, they don't care.

I don't agree. I reckon they do care, and so do I.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

There are several reasons why people keep stock pigeons prisoner, Mizmo.

First, sometimes very large sums are paid for breeding pigeons, and fanciers understandably, are loathe to see that money fly away.

Second, often, pairs of pigeons are kept in separate cages, so the parentage of the offspring is certain. Pigeons are not always very faithful partners. 😆

Third, it is very often a management system that was learned from a mentor, long ago. The main reason most things are done in the pigeon game is, because that's how it has always been done. Simple.

There are a couple of things against it. Free flying pigeons stay fit and vital. Captive pigeons can become fat and unfit, and fertility reduced. All my pigeons fly out, and I have 9 year old stock birds flying like young birds, fit and lean, and have almost 100% fertility in the loft.

Many lofts have excellent facilities for their prisoner birds, with aviaries and baths, all clean and healthy. But I have seen some stock birds living very unhappy lives. I have been told that it doesn't matter, they are only pigeons, they don't care.

I don't agree. I reckon they do care, and so do I.

Well put Murray.
I have never really kept prisoners. I have on the odd occasions had sections with aviaries that have been used for stock birds but have not keep birds shut in for long. I like everything to be flying out. As much as anything I hate the worry of making sure they don’t escape.

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter  

If you want to buy a set of nest boxes that’s fine. Will make things easier for you.
I would take the video YouTube clips with a pinch of salt. Anyone can make their trapping look good if they are hungry enough and I wonder how many times they tried before getting a clip worth showing.
Are you trapping through the open door? What happens with the ones that do come in and feed after they have fed. This is where you need a way of stopping the ones that have come in from going back out.
Keep your routine of letting them out twice a day. In the morning give them their hour then call them in. Feed the ones that come straight in. Any that don’t come in quickly don’t feed them. The same in the evenings. They will soon learn that if they don’t come in when called they go hungry. Only call them with your whistle 2 or 3 times then stop. Don’t keep trying to get the ones in that don’t respond by whistling and putting more food down. I would never recommend keeping birds hungry just to trap them quickly. They are growing birds and if fit and healthy they won’t over eat and will be hungry enough by their next feed.

I think I'm either very lucky or unlucky .as when the birds have ate they fly up and perch . The ones that dont I just stay guard by the door and just shoo them back in. I have also built a make shift mesh door .to keep some inside whilst the others come back .
I had them flying for a while today (the nuisance four ) not much of going on to the neighbours roof part from the one or two. Even better was they didnt go to his loft (hope indent jinx it)

If I feed them twice a day wouldnt that be too much ??

And by the way I have got more little ones today.

(I would love to get a red one to the addition now. Are they rare ?).

Btw are sloped perch boxes good ? As I was wondering how the nest bowl would be placed when and if I wanted to breed them-- attachment is not available --

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

Two feeds a day won’t be too much as long as you take away what’s left once they start going to the drinker. They shouldn’t get fat.
I wouldn’t slope your nest boxes. That could also result in youngsters falling out.

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
Topic starter  

Two feeds a day won’t be too much as long as you take away what’s left once they start going to the drinker. They shouldn’t get fat.
I wouldn’t slope your nest boxes. That could also result in youngsters falling out.

When looking online to purchase them I have only found the sloped boxes .which I dont want .I will continue searching for the normal ones

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

Just put in pigeon nest boxes. Usually come in a set of 3 or 4

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

Those are lovely white baby pigeons.

I hope you have great success with them. 😀

I wouldn't want them where I live. Whites, grizzles, gay pied pigeons, they seem to be the ones hit most by the falcons. 🙁

Most of my pigeons are blue chequers and blue bars. I have some white flighted pigeons, but they often don't last long... 😥

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
Topic starter  

I wouldn't want them where I live. Whites, grizzles, gay pied pigeons, they seem to be the ones hit most by the falcons. 🙁

Most of my pigeons are blue chequers and blue bars. I have some white flighted pigeons, but they often don't last long... 😥

Thanks muzza, they stick out like a sore thumb in the sky and I guess that's why they are the chosen target.

I managed to get the bird to come to me by whistling which I'm glad about .I give them around two ounces for a feed in the morning and then in the evening let them eat till they are full is that ok? I have only two birds that fly circles and fly for atleast 5 minutes. Anything I can do to encourage this? Also any idea of where I can get a 7ft x 5ft sheet of wood (for shed floor)

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
Topic starter  

Thanks muzza, they stick out like a sore thumb in the sky and I guess that's why they are the chosen target.

I managed to get the bird to come to me by whistling which I'm glad about .I give them around two ounces for a feed in the morning and then in the evening let them eat till they are full is that ok? I have only two birds that fly circles and fly for atleast 5 minutes. Anything I can do to encourage this? Also any idea of where I can get a 7ft x 5ft sheet of wood (for shed floor) last but not least . Should I be giving my birds any type of preventative meds . As i seen markers 3 in 1 for prevention of worms ,canker and coccidiosis

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

At this stage they are growing and need to be well fed. Like any young animal. Sounds like you are giving them plenty.

Medication. My view is that you should use medication, IF they need it. Taking antibiotics when healthy is counterproductive.

Let them build up a natural immunity.

Worming is different. Get some worm pills or a soluble wormer and dose them. You dont know whether they had worms when you got them.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

They will fly longer as they mature and start ranging. They will do this when they are ready. Your feeding is fine. I don’t think you will find any sheets of wood 7x5. The normal size is 8x4. You made need to just buy 2 of these or one 8x4 and one of 8x2.
I don’t treat my birds for anything but that’s just the way I have always done it.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3