Notifications
Clear all

First Coutances YB back  

Page 2 / 2

Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
18/08/2020 10:23 pm  
Posted by: @andy123

Unfortunately I didn’t get anymore back today. I thought I may have got some as it hasn’t been to bad here today. The 2 I got back yesterday are fine today and both have been off for a fly. Hopefully I’ll still get some of the others back. I just hope that they are still alive. With the state of the channel and the mist and rain along the coast on Saturday I just hope they didn’t go down in the sea. Some may not have even attempted the channel and still be in France. As all my racing is across the channel I do need birds that are confident enough to cross it. I just don’t think they had a fair chance with the conditions on Saturday. Obviously some found a way across but are they the best or the lucky ones? 

As you and others have said Andy it was a rare mistake but a poor decision by the BICC to let them up with the conditions the way they were, the returns in both the old and young birds show that. The birds that did brave it have done very well but it sadly proves nothing for those that are lost, if Sunday had been better they'd have stood half a chance. I would imagine most of the birds that made it across chose a short crossing, best or lucky who can say, they may not have been the fastest but were they the smartest ?? What never ceases to amaze me though is that no matter how tough a race is nine times out of ten the winning birds seem to be clocked when expected !!! 

Hopefully those birds that have been resting up will get moving again during next weekend's races. 

This post was modified 2 months ago by Trevor Hodges

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
19/08/2020 9:05 am  

When I read that the pigeons were released at 1.00pm with iffy weather, my heart sank.

What the hell were they doing releasing young birds across the channel at 1 o'clock on a poor day?

The liberator, being pressured from all angles, made the call and released them. I bet he knew it was going to end badly, but would have had all sorts of calls to 'Get them up!'.

He found himself in charge of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
19/08/2020 8:36 pm  
Posted by: @muzza

When I read that the pigeons were released at 1.00pm with iffy weather, my heart sank.

What the hell were they doing releasing young birds across the channel at 1 o'clock on a poor day?

The liberator, being pressured from all angles, made the call and released them. I bet he knew it was going to end badly, but would have had all sorts of calls to 'Get them up!'.

He found himself in charge of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Quite agree Muzza, it was a dreadful decision 😕😵

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
19/08/2020 10:47 pm  

It is such a shame that I haven’t seen anymore back, I fear the worse for them. The channel can be a grave yard for pigeons. I wonder what they would do after crossing a fair bit of the channel before coming up against a blanket of fog before reaching land, which I think happened last weekend. The ones that got back probably were lucky and found a hole through the fog where they were heading. The old birds in the race didn’t fair any better than the youngsters which shows that something went terribly wrong. 

In the young birds out of 133 members sending 1282 birds only 75 members verified birds. In my section 14 members sent 215 birds and only 7 members clocked in. 

In the old birds 263 members sent 2550 birds only 166 me

After all the work put into these youngsters I feel they weren’t given a fair chance and I’m afraid the majority of the missing birds met their demise in the channel. Maybe I shouldn’t have sent as the forecast wasn’t great but you send hoping that those in charge would do the best for the birds. 

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
20/08/2020 8:45 am  

Andy, that is a horrible concept that none of us want to think about.

Back In New Zealand from time to time there would be a race that turned bad when the pigeons ran into a sea fog over Cook Strait, between the North and South Islands. The islands are slightly off set, so in a fog, a whole race flock can narrowly miss the top corner of the South Island and fly on out to sea, until they drop.

One doesn't like to blame others when things go wrong, but I would be holding the race organisers to account.

The race has caused a lot of damage.

The liberator, in the finish, he was just the one cutting the strings.

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
20/08/2020 7:56 pm  
Posted by: @andy123

It is such a shame that I haven’t seen anymore back, I fear the worse for them. The channel can be a grave yard for pigeons. I wonder what they would do after crossing a fair bit of the channel before coming up against a blanket of fog before reaching land, which I think happened last weekend. The ones that got back probably were lucky and found a hole through the fog where they were heading. The old birds in the race didn’t fair any better than the youngsters which shows that something went terribly wrong. 

In the young birds out of 133 members sending 1282 birds only 75 members verified birds. In my section 14 members sent 215 birds and only 7 members clocked in. 

In the old birds 263 members sent 2550 birds only 166 me

After all the work put into these youngsters I feel they weren’t given a fair chance and I’m afraid the majority of the missing birds met their demise in the channel. Maybe I shouldn’t have sent as the forecast wasn’t great but you send hoping that those in charge would do the best for the birds. 

Yes I agree Andy these birds weren't given a fair chance, the trouble is the BICC birds were already on route before most other organisations decided to cancel racing that weekend. What surprises me is that they didn't hold them over as they are usually prepared to hold them for as long as it takes. Maybe it had something to do with the latest restrictions put in place over people returning from France and they just wanted to get the lorries and drivers home !!

I personally think those birds that made it were probably pushed over to the East so would have had a shorter and clearer crossing, if that was the case then those birds that made over to the West on Sunday did even better as they would have had to fly against the wind in appalling conditions. Hopefully some of those missing are still the other side of the water and will be picked up by the birds racing from France this weekned 🤞🤞

ReplyQuote
lestheeagle
(@lestheeagle)
Noble Member Registered
20/08/2020 8:21 pm  

I've had a young stray here since Sunday afternoon. Finally collared it yesterday, belongs in Tilbury Essex. The owners finished 2nd open BICC YB race; their only bird home from 21 on the day! They had five on Sunday and a couple more since.  They were expecting Tuesday lib, but as we know, it didn't happen.

I feel for you Andy and all of those poor ybs that didn't get a faie crack of the whip. Wishing you a better race this weekend. 

Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
20/08/2020 9:06 pm  

I was talking to someone at marking this morning. They’ve only got 6 from 48. 

I thought they would have held until Tuesday. For some reason they were saying that they didn’t like the idea of keeping youngsters in the baskets for that long. Possibly not what the sprint/middle distance would want but would have been much better experience for our birds. 

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
22/08/2020 4:54 pm  
Posted by: @lestheeagle

I've had a young stray here since Sunday afternoon. Finally collared it yesterday, belongs in Tilbury Essex. The owners finished 2nd open BICC YB race; their only bird home from 21 on the day! They had five on Sunday and a couple more since.  They were expecting Tuesday lib, but as we know, it didn't happen.

I feel for you Andy and all of those poor ybs that didn't get a faie crack of the whip. Wishing you a better race this weekend. 

That was real bitter sweet day for them then Leslie, glad you finally managed to get it in 👍🤠

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2