BICC Coutances resu...

Notifications
Clear all

BICC Coutances result  

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
03/09/2020 10:21 pm  

Although I didn’t get any on the day from this race, that turned out a disaster, I did get the one from Phil at around midday on the second day. He ended up being 12th SW section 215 birds, and 166th Open 1280 birds. 

With Trev’s one later that day and the one for Murray the following week I did get 3 back.

Still nothing from the CSCFC Coutances though. 

Starting to think about next season now and trying to decide what my plan is going to be. 

Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
03/09/2020 11:10 pm  

A decent result in the end Andy especially with the conditions as they were, I think you can hold your head up bruv 👏👍🤠 It is a shame more havnt made their way back yet but the 3 you have along with the older birds in the team should serve you well moving forwards. 

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
04/09/2020 9:14 am  

Andy, you have had the misfortune of two races ruined by human error and adverse weather.

Not one bit of it is your fault, and you must put it behind you.

Yes, you have to look ahead to next season.

I hope it is some comfort that you have people backing you! Smile  

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
04/09/2020 10:22 am  

@muzza

Yes it is great that I still have the backing of members. The ultimate goal is still the same, it’s just a case of finding the best way to progress towards this goal to give our pigeons the best chance of achieving their full potential.

we are still in the early days of this challenge and I am learning as much as our pigeons. 

I still believe that on the whole we have still made strides in the right direction and was always going to have highs and lows. 

ReplyQuote
lestheeagle
(@lestheeagle)
Noble Member Registered
04/09/2020 10:22 am  

Next year i'm only going to breed off the ones left at the end of the season. Richard Howey, Andy Parsons etc do well with their late breds , as they train them through the autumn/winter and then give them 1 or 2 races as yearlings. As 2yo they go to Pau! My old birds next year will be mated in mid March and sit a round of pot eggs while i train them and then they will be split before first race. I shall race them celibate from then on.

Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.

ReplyQuote
rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered
04/09/2020 8:41 pm  

yes agree  17th march for distance birds best results if I can remember was the cocks feeding 14 day old yb  it would be moved a few times a day  for another pair to feed it and then returned to it's box they always had one channel race before a 500ml race it was a long time ago sure that's what most done in a Ireland  in the old days lol

ReplyQuote
grizzlecock
(@grizzlecock)
Estimable Member Registered
04/09/2020 9:17 pm  
Posted by: @rainbow

yes agree  17th march for distance birds best results if I can remember was the cocks feeding 14 day old yb  it would be moved a few times a day  for another pair to feed it and then returned to it's box they always had one channel race before a 500ml race it was a long time ago sure that's what most done in a Ireland  in the old days lol

in the old days...i love that rainbow

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
04/09/2020 10:47 pm  
Posted by: @lestheeagle

Next year i'm only going to breed off the ones left at the end of the season. Richard Howey, Andy Parsons etc do well with their late breds , as they train them through the autumn/winter and then give them 1 or 2 races as yearlings. As 2yo they go to Pau! My old birds next year will be mated in mid March and sit a round of pot eggs while i train them and then they will be split before first race. I shall race them celibate from then on.

Sounds like a fair plan. I could do a bit of both. The trouble with only breeding latebreds is that they can’t really race as yearlings and will probably still be carrying nest flights. I certainly like the idea of breeding from the best at the end of the season and something I probably will do. But I will also breed some earlier ones, not until March, that may not race as youngsters but can be trained and allowed to go through a moult ready to race as yearlings.

Lots to be thinking about. 

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
05/09/2020 7:44 am  
Posted by: @andy123
Posted by: @lestheeagle

Sounds like a fair plan. I could do a bit of both. The trouble with only breeding latebreds is that they can’t really race as yearlings and will probably still be carrying nest flights. I certainly like the idea of breeding from the best at the end of the season and something I probably will do. But I will also breed some earlier ones, not until March, that may not race as youngsters but can be trained and allowed to go through a moult ready to race as yearlings.

Lots to be thinking about. 

I always used to take a round of late breds from my distance birds at the end of every season, partly as a reward for their efforts and partly as they had proven to be my best birds that year. I had varying success with them buy you do need to treat them differently and only lightly race them as yearlings if at all. The important thing with late breds is training, no point waiting until the spring to start training them you need to get them going over the winter which can be difficult with the short days if you are working. There were and probably still are a lot of distance fliers that never raced youngsters, I always remember talking to guy many years ago who purchased pigeons from British fanciers on behalf of an Asian consortium. He would rear them up as youngsters over here in the UK, as yearlings they would be sent to their racing lofts in Asia to be settled and trained ready to race as two year olds. 

ReplyQuote
lestheeagle
(@lestheeagle)
Noble Member Registered
05/09/2020 7:55 am  

Interesting views guys. Thanks

This post was modified 2 months ago by lestheeagle

Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.

ReplyQuote