Sparrow hawk back o...

Notifications
Clear all

Sparrow hawk back on the prowl  

Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
13/08/2019 12:48 am  

Had a near miss yesterday.
I had let the birds out after my last one returned from the race and was in the loft cleaning out when all of the sudden the birds hit the drop the board and came hurtling into the loft (shame they don't always trap like that 😀) one bird had hit the back of the shed in my feed/store section knocking things everywhere. I put her in the loft with the others and had a look around outside but no sign of anything so I continued to clean out the loft, usually the birds don't stay in the loft while I clean out but they didn't want to go anywhere. I then noticed a couple of spots of blood on the left floor and the hen that went in the store shed was holding one leg up, thankfully it was only a small flesh wound so she should be fine. It was a couple of hours before the birds ventured out again and several came out for a fly but didn't waste any time going back in once they came down, I then noticed the birds were watching something in our neighbour's pine tree from inside the loft and tucked up in the branches was the sparrow hawk. While I was watching it flew out of the tree and headed off towards the downs and after half hour or so the birds came out again.
When I got home from work today Lisa told me that something again had spooked the birds so after cleaning them out and feeding them she left them shut in. About half five we were up the garden having a cuppa and looking at a stray on the house roof when out of nowhere came the screech of a bird of prey and at head height the sparrow hawk flew between us both and headed off through the pine tree.
Looks like the birds might have to stay in a couple of days which is a real pain as they are coming so well at the moment.

buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
13/08/2019 8:29 am  

Lucky escape there, damn hawk do not give up easily hope the leg heals well

ReplyQuote
stevekulpa
(@stevekulpa)
Noble Member Registered
13/08/2019 8:32 am  

Very lucky escape Trevor ,Just be watchful ,Try and deal with the problem 😉

ReplyQuote
PVDMR
(@pvdmr)
Member Moderator
13/08/2019 9:22 am  

Perfect Bop Deterrent!! 😎

Eagle+Owl&c=3&h=225&w=300&l=517&sigr=11b8q216g&sigt=115ts9hnd&sigi=12qjbte5b&age=1301594899&fr2=p:s,v:v&fr=ipad&tt=b

Peregrines” are the top Predator now,also to All bird life!
As I’ve said before the peregrine was First introduced by the Romans,Norman’s.Not indigenous to UK
Furthermore it’s been stated,the eagle owl has a range of over 250 miles so the channel/North sea ( no problem)
It’s been proven it was indigenous to the British isle’s
They Will take Peregrines off the nest at night,ie making them the Top Predator
It’s all down to if your face fits
The RSPB are a Joke Roll

You can buy The Mans Winning pigeons BUT not the Man that flys them!!

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
13/08/2019 10:50 am  

We may be half a world apart, but we face the same issues.

The hawks do wreck their confidence, don't they?

I have also noticed that this week they are flying hard and fast......and then they go, that's enough, we will all go in now... Shock Shock

Nothing wrong with them, they just don't want to hang around outside.

And to think, I had the, umm, 'noble raptor' wrapped up in a towel and let it go. Evil Evil

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
13/08/2019 8:05 pm  

They certainly don't want to hang around outside for long today, I only let them out for a short while this morning and they have been out again this afternoon. Won't have them back on open loft for a day or two now.

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
13/08/2019 8:08 pm  

Perfect Bop Deterrent!! 😎

Eagle+Owl&c=3&h=225&w=300&l=517&sigr=11b8q216g&sigt=115ts9hnd&sigi=12qjbte5b&age=1301594899&fr2=p:s,v:v&fr=ipad&tt=b

Peregrines” are the top Predator now,also to All bird life!
As I’ve said before the peregrine was First introduced by the Romans,Norman’s.Not indigenous to UK
Furthermore it’s been stated,the eagle owl has a range of over 250 miles so the channel/North sea ( no problem)
It’s been proven it was indigenous to the British isle’s
They Will take Peregrines off the nest at night,ie making them the Top Predator
It’s all down to if your face fits
The RSPB are a Joke Roll

Thanks for the post Stu, good to hear from you Grin
I'll watch the clip later as going swimming with the grandson shortly Grin
The RSPB certainly are a joke and Chris Packham is the biggest muppet of the lot !!!

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
13/08/2019 8:09 pm  

We may be half a world apart, but we face the same issues.

The hawks do wreck their confidence, don't they?

I have also noticed that this week they are flying hard and fast......and then they go, that's enough, we will all go in now... Shock Shock

Nothing wrong with them, they just don't want to hang around outside.

And to think, I had the, umm, 'noble raptor' wrapped up in a towel and let it go. Evil Evil

Yes Muzza you certainly missed an opportunity there but I probably would have done the same LoL just too darn soft Grin

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
14/08/2019 11:49 am  

Mmm.

I think it may be a natural response to what I did when I was young. I was a top apprentice jockey, back in the days when success was measured by how hard you could hit them.

I have seen some horrible things.

Which is why I wont even have a trap on a loft. I cant bear it.

I hate killing a sick or injured pigeon. It really upsets me.

That little hawk will never know how lucky it was.

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
15/08/2019 12:29 am  

Mmm.

I think it may be a natural response to what I did when I was young. I was a top apprentice jockey, back in the days when success was measured by how hard you could hit them.

I have seen some horrible things.

Which is why I wont even have a trap on a loft. I cant bear it.

I hate killing a sick or injured pigeon. It really upsets me.

That little hawk will never know how lucky it was.

It is good to see that over use of the whip is penalised these days mate.
I do agree with you though, I have been in farming for a big part of my working life and dealing with the death of live stock is a regular occurrence but still something you never quite used to.

ReplyQuote