Had a hit this week

Notifications
Clear all

Had a hit this week  

Page 1 / 5

Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
05/04/2020 9:58 pm  

We haven't seen Mrs Sparrow hawk for a weeks now but she has been back this week 😡😡
Shut the birds in after work on Thursday and found I was 2 short, I expected to find that 2 of my youngsters were missing but to my surprise and disappointment I found I was a 2018 late bred Coulter hen and a yearling Crammond and Langstaff cross Coulter hen missing. The two year old had 6 races up to 155miles last year and the yearling hen had 9 races up to 155miles and took a 2nd club so I'm guessing the hawk hasn't laid yet and is still feeding herself up 😡
We had the birds out today and were sitting in the garden watching some of the birds on the roof when suddenly they shot off at a rate of knots closely followed by the resident Jakdaws and then Mrs Hawk 😡😡 and she was followed by 3 plucky little sparrows 👍🤠 the loft fell silent and the dozen birds that took flight stayed up for a good 20 minutes or so before coming down and straight through the open traps.
We got away with it today but she clearly hasn't finished for the year yet 😡

buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
05/04/2020 10:52 pm  

Hope they turn up mate they may have just flew and flew for safety, the seagulls and crows sent one packing this morning by me

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
05/04/2020 11:18 pm  

That’s such a shame Trev I haven’t had any trouble here so far but have seen her around. Phil has had a terrible time. He had 16 youngsters flying well but over the last few weeks is down to 3.

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
06/04/2020 8:37 am  

That’s such a shame Trev I haven’t had any trouble here so far but have seen her around. Phil has had a terrible time. He had 16 youngsters flying well but over the last few weeks is down to 3.

That is a massive loss

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
06/04/2020 9:54 am  

That is a massive loss

It was strange really mate. They were flying really well then he lost 3 in one day. Then a few days ok then another 3 in one go. He had one come back smashed up that he had to dispose of. He also had an old bird come back with half it’s tail missing.
Has certainly got a problem around there with something. Could be a peregrine rather than sparrow hawk, or both.

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
06/04/2020 11:00 am  

That makes sad reading.

It seems the raptors are reaching troublesome numbers all over the world.

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
06/04/2020 1:25 pm  

That is a massive loss

It was strange really mate. They were flying really well then he lost 3 in one day. Then a few days ok then another 3 in one go. He had one come back smashed up that he had to dispose of. He also had an old bird come back with half it’s tail missing.
Has certainly got a problem around there with something. Could be a peregrine rather than sparrow hawk, or both.

Was going to say maybe more than one if losing that many each time, hope he gets some returns

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
06/04/2020 3:05 pm  

That makes sad reading.

It seems the raptors are reaching troublesome numbers all over the world.

It will be interesting to see if no racing takes place whether this has any impact on their numbers. I would imagine though that people in areas where they reside will be hit even harder than usual when they have their birds out.

ReplyQuote
Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Estimable Member Registered
06/04/2020 7:40 pm  

had a hit today too, just getting birds in after they had a fly, they were sitting on the loft roof and the sparrow hawk hit and carried a bird into next doors garden, i jumped the fence and the pigeon took flight but only got about 20ft before the hawk pinned it down again, i clapped and the hawk let go again, the pigeon flew off but was followed by the hawk, i did not see them again. can't believe how fast the hawk was the pigeon had no chance.

ReplyQuote
stevekulpa
(@stevekulpa)
Noble Member Registered
06/04/2020 8:59 pm  

We also had a hit today ,The first time the youngsters have got together 10 of them and not been like a cloud burst then I saw Percy it was under the YB's but as they came down to its level it started playing with them splitting them up, when there was only two left together it dived and took one of them No 113. How do I know this well about an hour later he came back with a cut wing and cut chest lucky boy. We were about 25 missing but as I type were down to 6 so I count us lucky still time for some more yet fingers crossed.

ReplyQuote
rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered
06/04/2020 10:07 pm  

watched one in the distance not sure if you can see it-- attachment is not available --

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
06/04/2020 10:24 pm  

Only going to get much worse I’m afraid.
My first toss 2 years ago at 5 miles,had two peregrines go through mine
They had been off ranging previously for over a fortnight
Lost 15,,others worked there way back over a week,all were thin as lats
Not long after i heard some bright spark had put a nest box on a church a mile or so away,
Probably young peregrine youngsters from the nest site at Notts university not 4 mile away
One of the reasons for packing it in..Loathe those things Twisted Twisted Twisted I can see why loads of fanciers have packed in due to these winged Nightmares!!!

Ahhhh problem Sorted Grin 31902D6A-117E-470A-866C-5FDE886BC72A.jpeg

🤠👍
Heard on the radio this week that the pair have laid again on Chichester Cathedral (about 20miles from me) apparently there have been 60 youngsters successfully reared there since 2001.

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
06/04/2020 10:27 pm  

had a hit today too, just getting birds in after they had a fly, they were sitting on the loft roof and the sparrow hawk hit and carried a bird into next doors garden, i jumped the fence and the pigeon took flight but only got about 20ft before the hawk pinned it down again, i clapped and the hawk let go again, the pigeon flew off but was followed by the hawk, i did not see them again. can't believe how fast the hawk was the pigeon had no chance.

Sorry to hear that mate 😡😡 it is a horrible way to lose them. They are quick and appear from nowhere, they aren't frightened of us either which makes them even more dangerous. Hopefully the Sparrow hawk won't be a threat for much longer this year 🤞🤞

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
06/04/2020 10:34 pm  

We also had a hit today ,The first time the youngsters have got together 10 of them and not been like a cloud burst then I saw Percy it was under the YB's but as they came down to its level it started playing with them splitting them up, when there was only two left together it dived and took one of them No 113. How do I know this well about an hour later he came back with a cut wing and cut chest lucky boy. We were about 25 missing but as I type were down to 6 so I count us lucky still time for some more yet fingers crossed.

Sorry to hear that Steve, good to hear 113 managed to escape. I hope some more of the others turn up too mate 🤞🤞
I count myself lucky that I only have the Sparrow Hawk to worry about as at least she is only a threat for a relatively short period and not all year round like Percy.

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
06/04/2020 10:36 pm  

watched one in the distance not sure if you can see it

Yeah I see it George 👍 that's half the trouble, they fly so high that they are almost of sight then drop like a stone to make their hit.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5