Notifications
Clear all

First loss of the year.  

Page 2 / 2

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
21/01/2020 8:52 pm  

Hopefully you can persevere. As Buster says I would keep them in for a few days and just let them out when you are there.
Did the old bird disappear at the same time as the other 3? Just wondering whether he went and took the others with him. Have you found the bodies or have they just disappeared?

The old bird disappeared the same day as one other, the third one was took the day after by a sparrow hawk as i found the hawk still on the bird next to the shed. I find it hard to believe the older one just took off as it seemed quite settled. but then again who knows what goes on in their heads?

As he was a bit older and the time of year is approaching when they are looking to pair up and as you haven’t got any hens that were old enough he may have decided to go. It could be that the hawk frightened them off. You will usually find the carcass of a bird taken by a sparrow hawk as it would have taken it down around the loft like the other one you found and wouldn’t be able to take them away. I would certainly keep them in for a few days and now the days are getting longer just let them out while your there and then get them in and shut them up. They won’t be any the worse for it. This is the worst time of the year now until mid March for the Sparrow Hawk.
I hope you decide to stick in there Paul. Unfortunately a lot of what you’re experiencing is part of the learning process in this sport.

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
21/01/2020 9:10 pm  

I Know how you feel mate, i lost three birds in a week, now i only have the two buster gave me left. I am starting to think there are too many predators around here to make it viable to keep just a small team of birds. Not sure if its worth persevering or not, if i replace the birds will it just be more hawk food?

That is a shame mate, best to keep them in for a couple weeks, are the others that have been offered to you the ones off Stan

Yes mate i'll keep them in for a week or two, and yes its Stan thats offered to breed me four, so hopefully i can re start in the near future. i think i will have to re think having an open loft too.

He does have some good birds, when mine are out so am I regardless of rain etc they have fly down and in and shut up

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
22/01/2020 7:30 am  

I am very sorry to read that Paul1 has had such a hard time with the hawks, and had his good work undone.

Paul, I hope you continue. These are hard lessons that we all have to learn. These days you need to outsmart the hawks and have pigeons which can avoid them.

You have put so much effort into getting started, get some good young pigeons for stock, and keep trying.

Best wishes. 😀

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
22/01/2020 7:34 am  

That is a shame mate, best to keep them in for a couple weeks, are the others that have been offered to you the ones off Stan

Yes mate i'll keep them in for a week or two, and yes its Stan thats offered to breed me four, so hopefully i can re start in the near future. i think i will have to re think having an open loft too.

He does have some good birds, when mine are out so am I regardless of rain etc they have fly down and in and shut up

Yep, mine are out when I am out with them. On a weekend I might spend the afternoon out pottering around while they have some free time, but during the week it's out, fly, in. With hawks around here, you cant go and leave them out.

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Magic
(@magic)
Noble Member Registered
22/01/2020 12:12 pm  

Lisa had a rather nasty and sickening surprise when she got in from work today.
Firstly she was surprised to see most of the birds were out of the loft and up on the house, being on open loft there are usually some up there but that many was very unusual. On approaching the loft she then noticed one of the perspex windows at the top of the loft was broken, then when she entered the loft she was confronted with feathers everywhere and just to add to her heartbreak her beloved fantail was lying dead amongst the feathers with half its back missing 😥This poor little fella was the first bird we got when I decided to start keeping pigeons again, he was rescued from our neighbours garden with a badly damaged wing and never regained the use of it so was easy picking for the Sparrow hawk that had clearly entered the loft for her lunch 😡😡 Thankfully Lisa managed to eventually get all the other birds back in the loft before it got too dark and at the moment they all look ok, however I have my suspicion that the bird I lost last week may have had a near miss and died from the shock.
I seem to lose two or three every year around this time so the loft will now be put on lock down for a couple of weeks, I will take the opportunity to split the birds at the weekend and they won't go out again until I pair them up mid February.
Watch out for those Sparrow hawk hens all, they are insatiable at this time of year 😡😡😡 all the best.

Tragic news Trev, sorry for Lisa's ordeal.

Children with autism are colourful - they are very beautiful and like the rainbow they stand out.

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
22/01/2020 10:26 pm  

Lisa had a rather nasty and sickening surprise when she got in from work today.
Firstly she was surprised to see most of the birds were out of the loft and up on the house, being on open loft there are usually some up there but that many was very unusual. On approaching the loft she then noticed one of the perspex windows at the top of the loft was broken, then when she entered the loft she was confronted with feathers everywhere and just to add to her heartbreak her beloved fantail was lying dead amongst the feathers with half its back missing 😥This poor little fella was the first bird we got when I decided to start keeping pigeons again, he was rescued from our neighbours garden with a badly damaged wing and never regained the use of it so was easy picking for the Sparrow hawk that had clearly entered the loft for her lunch 😡😡 Thankfully Lisa managed to eventually get all the other birds back in the loft before it got too dark and at the moment they all look ok, however I have my suspicion that the bird I lost last week may have had a near miss and died from the shock.
I seem to lose two or three every year around this time so the loft will now be put on lock down for a couple of weeks, I will take the opportunity to split the birds at the weekend and they won't go out again until I pair them up mid February.
Watch out for those Sparrow hawk hens all, they are insatiable at this time of year 😡😡😡 all the best.

Tragic news Trev, sorry for Lisa's ordeal.

Thanks Magic and thanks to all for your comments and support, it means a lot.

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
22/01/2020 10:33 pm  

I Know how you feel mate, i lost three birds in a week, now i only have the two buster gave me left. I am starting to think there are too many predators around here to make it viable to keep just a small team of birds. Not sure if its worth persevering or not, if i replace the birds will it just be more hawk food?

Sorry to hear that Paul, it is a bitter pill to swallow.
I seem to lose two three every year around now, it is the worst time for Sparrow hawk hits as the hen is getting herself ready to breed. As others have said keep them in for a while now and let them settle down, hopefully she will head off somewhere else to find her food. I will keep mine in for a week or two now then only let out them out to exercise until I start breeding at the beginning of March. Good to hear you have been offered some more birds, I hope you do decide to keep trying after all your efforts.
All the best.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2