First loss of the y...

Notifications
Clear all

First loss of the year.

Page 1 / 2

Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
Topic starter  

Lisa had a rather nasty and sickening surprise when she got in from work today.
Firstly she was surprised to see most of the birds were out of the loft and up on the house, being on open loft there are usually some up there but that many was very unusual. On approaching the loft she then noticed one of the perspex windows at the top of the loft was broken, then when she entered the loft she was confronted with feathers everywhere and just to add to her heartbreak her beloved fantail was lying dead amongst the feathers with half its back missing 😥This poor little fella was the first bird we got when I decided to start keeping pigeons again, he was rescued from our neighbours garden with a badly damaged wing and never regained the use of it so was easy picking for the Sparrow hawk that had clearly entered the loft for her lunch 😡😡 Thankfully Lisa managed to eventually get all the other birds back in the loft before it got too dark and at the moment they all look ok, however I have my suspicion that the bird I lost last week may have had a near miss and died from the shock.
I seem to lose two or three every year around this time so the loft will now be put on lock down for a couple of weeks, I will take the opportunity to split the birds at the weekend and they won't go out again until I pair them up mid February.
Watch out for those Sparrow hawk hens all, they are insatiable at this time of year 😡😡😡 all the best.

killer
(@killer)
Illustrious Member Registered

Bad News Mate ,we all need big Hearts to keep pigeons ,as the years roll on the Hawk situation as gotten worse ,when will the the people in charge start to do something ,Mate I hope things in prove & you have a good season ,cheers

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Sorry for your loss mate, hope Lisa gets over it as well not a pretty sight for her at all or anybody really, mine not been out for ages as every time I go to the hawk or falcon seems to appear

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

That’s a shame Trev, hope the others settle back down and you don’t get any further problems.
Very upsetting for Lisa.

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

ReplyQuote
Potter29
(@potter29)

Thats onli thing wen on open hole , it will be back now its found a food source , maybe lock um up for few days

ReplyQuote
stevekulpa
(@stevekulpa)
Noble Member Registered

Sorry to hear about it Trevor, I've sent you a PM.

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

Trev, I really feel for you.

That is just the worst thing, and for Lisa to find it, not good at all.

My thoughts are with you both.

I am good! They aren't firing rubber bullets at me. Yet.
Welcome to Victoria, 2021.

ReplyQuote
lestheeagle
(@lestheeagle)
Famed Member Registered

Very annoying Trev. Hopefully it will find easier pickings elsewhere 👿

Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.

ReplyQuote
Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Reputable Member Registered

I Know how you feel mate, i lost three birds in a week, now i only have the two buster gave me left. I am starting to think there are too many predators around here to make it viable to keep just a small team of birds. Not sure if its worth persevering or not, if i replace the birds will it just be more hawk food?

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

I Know how you feel mate, i lost three birds in a week, now i only have the two buster gave me left. I am starting to think there are too many predators around here to make it viable to keep just a small team of birds. Not sure if its worth persevering or not, if i replace the birds will it just be more hawk food?

That is a real shame Paul. Have you lost the older bird as well?
It’s such a shame for someone like you just trying to start out in the sport getting hit like that after all your hard work and enthusiasm at the start. Unfortunately it is getting worse and this is now becoming the worst time of the year for attacks especially the female sparrow hawk as she prepares for breeding. Having them on open loft does make them more of a target being out all day.

ReplyQuote
Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)

That is a real shame Paul. Have you lost the older bird as well?
It’s such a shame for someone like you just trying to start out in the sport getting hit like that after all your hard work and enthusiasm at the start. Unfortunately it is getting worse and this is now becoming the worst time of the year for attacks especially the female sparrow hawk as she prepares for breeding. Having them on open loft does make them more of a target being out all day.

Yes Andy the older bird has gone too, someone has offered to breed me four birds, he flies distance birds only and its distance racing that appeals to me, so i might take him up on his offer if i decide to carry on.

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

That is a shame mate, best to keep them in for a couple weeks, are the others that have been offered to you the ones off Stan

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

Hopefully you can persevere. As Buster says I would keep them in for a few days and just let them out when you are there.
Did the old bird disappear at the same time as the other 3? Just wondering whether he went and took the others with him. Have you found the bodies or have they just disappeared?

ReplyQuote
Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)

That is a shame mate, best to keep them in for a couple weeks, are the others that have been offered to you the ones off Stan

Yes mate i'll keep them in for a week or two, and yes its Stan thats offered to breed me four, so hopefully i can re start in the near future. i think i will have to re think having an open loft too.

ReplyQuote
Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)

Hopefully you can persevere. As Buster says I would keep them in for a few days and just let them out when you are there.
Did the old bird disappear at the same time as the other 3? Just wondering whether he went and took the others with him. Have you found the bodies or have they just disappeared?

The old bird disappeared the same day as one other, the third one was took the day after by a sparrow hawk as i found the hawk still on the bird next to the shed. I find it hard to believe the older one just took off as it seemed quite settled. but then again who knows what goes on in their heads?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2