Forum

Notifications
Clear all

A few photos

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Here are just a few photos of some of the pigeons in the racing loft today. 

[attach]5935[/attach]
[attach]5936[/attach]
[attach]5937[/attach]
[attach]5938[/attach]
[attach]5939[/attach]
[attach]5940[/attach]
[attach]5941[/attach]
[attach]5942[/attach]
[attach]5943[/attach]
[attach]5944[/attach]
[attach]5945[/attach]

These are just a few of the team for this year. I have thrown away the eggs from the pairs I didn’t want to breed from and moved some of the other eggs so that they can be single reared and all pairs rear at least one youngster before racing. 

buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Looking well mate {blue}:wink:  

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Noble Member Registered

Looking terrific, Andy. 

Done very well through the winter.

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @murray

Looking terrific, Andy. 

The blue hen in the front of box 10 is the hen that Pete bred for you Murray. She is the one that won best in show. She does have feathered legs. Is that a trait of this family Pete? 

ReplyQuote
killer
(@killer)
Illustrious Member Registered

Great work mate ,love looking at other people’s birds ,

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Noble Member Registered

That hen looks a million dollars.

You should do very well this year, so long as it doesn't all get shut down again.

The pigeons look ready to do some work. 

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

They are starting to exercise well. Of course we are still restricted to only being allowed to let them out for an hour a day because of avian flu. It’s a bit complicated here at present with both the Covid restrictions and avian flu restrictions. We are aloud to train on our own under avian flu restrictions but not allowed too until 29th March at the earliest under Covid restrictions. We aren’t going to be allowed to race until after the 12th April at the earliest, but then only if the license allowing racing is reinstated by defra and that will only happen if avian flu has gone. 

Our first race is on the 1st May so still plenty of time. I will be happy to have 3 or 4, 30 mile tosses before racing starts. Hopefully during the 2 weeks running up to the first race, weather permitting. 

ReplyQuote
rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered

looking good Andy is that amount of training enough before a channel race i'm thinking what if a difficult race are the birds fit having said that you know more than me and what your birds can do good luck do hope you get racing

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Posted by: @rainbow

looking good Andy is that amount of training enough before a channel race i'm thinking what if a difficult race are the birds fit having said that you know more than me and what your birds can do good luck do hope you get racing

I know we have different opinions on training George 🙂. But the way I see it is that training is just to get them back into the swing of racing and to remind them of the basket. I don’t think you can train to get birds fit. That is done around home and in the loft. A 30 mile toss is no more than a 45 minute fly. They will do more at home if right, and if not right shouldn’t be trained anyway as this will only lead to losses. 

Our first race is the Falaise National 178mls.

Last year this was a fast race for the leading birds doing over 2200ypm, all be it not until the 13th June because of Covid. I sent 21 birds and got 18 of them. 2 of the 3 dropped I wasn’t surprised about. I did have 1 of these 18 next day and two 2 days late but these were having their first ever race and went on to be on the day from their next race at 343mls. Although my early birds were fast I still had birds flying on up to 10 hours that day. The pre season training was 3 x 30 milers. Of course in these nationals, and certainly when the race is quick, many birds will be taken over to the wrong side of the country so flying many more miles than the 178. 

Our second race this year will be Coutances with the CSCFC 145 miles the following week. Some may have this as their first race. Last year both the CSCFC and the BBC had their first races inland from Sennen Cove. No good for me. 

ReplyQuote
Petedav
(@petedav)

Posted by: @andy123
Posted by: @murray

Looking terrific, Andy. 

The blue hen in the front of box 10 is the hen that Pete bred for you Murray. She is the one that won best in show. She does have feathered legs. Is that a trait of this family Pete? 

No not had a feather leg before. 

ReplyQuote