community

Forum

Just one thing afte...

Notifications
Clear all

Just one thing after another (avian flu)  

Page 2 / 2

Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
06/12/2020 7:39 pm  
Posted by: @lestheeagle

I shall follow this link for advice, rather than the RPRA. Click latest situation and then scroll down to pigeons and birds of prey for advice.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/avian-influenza-bird-flu

🤔🤔🤔 hmmmm interesting Leslie, it certainly reads different there to what the RPRA have said. 

I will be shutting mine up next weekend anyway as I want to seperate them, we don't have any cases down this way at the moment so fingers crossed we get any. The wild fowl at Arundel is usually the first place locally that gets cases so I shall be watching for that. 

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
06/12/2020 9:13 pm  

@lestheeagle have seen the bit stating that we are aloud to exercise, train and race our birds but need to try to avoid contact with wildfowl. 

Mine are shut in at present anyway but you make a good point Leslie. 

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
11/12/2020 3:10 pm  

This is an update from the RPRA yesterday regarding exercising, training and racing our birds during restrictions for avian flu.

https://www.rpra.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Avian-Influenza-CoP-101220.pdf

The main part at present refers to exercise. We can let them out for one hour once each day for exercise. They are not allowed to have open loft. It’s not very specific as to what happens if you have different sections to let out. My thinking is that you will only be allowed to have any birds out for one hour once per day. So if more than one section it would have to be one section per day.

Not to much of a problem at present but they are already talking about training and racing next year and looks like these measures could still be in place in the run up and during the racing season. That would make things very difficult if your only allowed one section out for one hour once a day. How you would get birds fit for racing I don’t know. What happens if they don’t come in I don’t know. 

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
11/12/2020 7:37 pm  
Posted by: @andy123

This is an update from the RPRA yesterday regarding exercising, training and racing our birds during restrictions for avian flu.

https://www.rpra.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Avian-Influenza-CoP-101220.pdf

The main part at present refers to exercise. We can let them out for one hour once each day for exercise. They are not allowed to have open loft. It’s not very specific as to what happens if you have different sections to let out. My thinking is that you will only be allowed to have any birds out for one hour once per day. So if more than one section it would have to be one section per day.

Not to much of a problem at present but they are already talking about training and racing next year and looks like these measures could still be in place in the run up and during the racing season. That would make things very difficult if your only allowed one section out for one hour once a day. How you would get birds fit for racing I don’t know. What happens if they don’t come in I don’t know. 

Thanks for the update Andy, I am planning on separating mine at the weekend and will keep them shut in for a few weeks anyway so not a problem for me. I imagine a bigger problem for some will be those breeding early as it could hamper their chances of getting the youngsters out as early as they would like. Personally as I said before I won't be losing any sleep over it just yet as this has happened every winter for several years now and has always been done and dusted well before the spring, however if by some chance it hasn't gone away then we won't be racing anyway so wether we can train or not would be immaterial. 

This post was modified 1 month ago by Trevor Hodges

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2