community

Forum

Just one thing afte...

Notifications
Clear all

Just one thing after another (avian flu)

Page 1 / 2

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Following further cases of avian-influenza the government have put out the following statement.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/avian-influenza-bird-flu-national-prevention-zone-declared

Basically this means that as from the 14th December we are not allowed to let our pigeons out. All poultry and captive birds have got to be kept housed from this date. At least it’s winter. 

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

Trevor Hodges
(@trench)

Thanks for the update Andy, sadly this does seem to be a yearly occurrence now. 

Ah well I was planning on separating the birds and keeping them in for while this month anyway so looks like they will force my hand. 

ReplyQuote
Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Reputable Member Registered

Thanks for that Andy, we keep 3 chickens that are in an open pen so i guess i might need to cover it, plus After recent events here i don't mind keeping the pigeons in for a few weeks if needed.

ReplyQuote
Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Reputable Member Registered

I know this starts on 14th but has anyone read anywhere how long this might go on for, it looks open ended to me?

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @paul1

I know this starts on 14th but has anyone read anywhere how long this might go on for, it looks open ended to me?

I think it is open ended at present. It will depend on how the infection spreads. I would imagine the RPRA will put something out in the next couple of days. I’ll keep an eye out. 

ReplyQuote
killer
(@killer)
Illustrious Member Registered

Not good ,

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

You could start to wonder if being a pigeon racer is worth the effort. 

If isn't pigeon rota virus or PMV, it is Wuhan corona virus, or bird Flu.

The last thing my wife said to me, as we put our heads on the pillow, was, "You should have bought a train set". 

I sort of agree with her. 

This is the most pointless way of spending money.  

I am good! They aren't firing rubber bullets at me. Yet.
Welcome to Victoria, 2021.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Confirmation on the RPRA website that it is a legal requirement to keep all birds shut in from December 14th. 

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @muzza

You could start to wonder if being a pigeon racer is worth the effort. 

If isn't pigeon rota virus or PMV, it is Wuhan corona virus, or bird Flu.

The last thing my wife said to me, as we put our heads on the pillow, was, "You should have bought a train set". 

I sort of agree with her. 

This is the most pointless way of spending money.  

🙂🙂

A lot of enjoyment and satisfaction in keeping them though. Just have to make the most of it. At least for us it’s generally a winter thing and should be well gone before next season. 

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)

Yes I see that Andy, it is a worry and it has become an annual problem although it is the first time we have all been ordered to keep our birds in. My three little chickens will be the biggest problem as their house is far too small to be shut in for any length of time, I'll have to see what I can knock up for them. 

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

@andy123, that is so true. 

ReplyQuote
lestheeagle
(@lestheeagle)
Famed Member Registered

Taken from BBC website:

However, despite the concern, the Department for Environment Farming and Rural Affairs said poultry products - including eggs - are still safe to consume.

Poultry includes chickens, ducks, turkeys, geese, pigeon (bred for meat), partridge, quail, guinea fowl and pheasants.

No end date for the measures has been given, but Defra said they would be kept under "regular review".

My birds are for racing , not for meat. They will be out on a daily basis. {blue}:grinning:

Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @lestheeagle

Taken from BBC website:

However, despite the concern, the Department for Environment Farming and Rural Affairs said poultry products - including eggs - are still safe to consume.

Poultry includes chickens, ducks, turkeys, geese, pigeon (bred for meat), partridge, quail, guinea fowl and pheasants.

No end date for the measures has been given, but Defra said they would be kept under "regular review".

My birds are for racing , not for meat. They will be out on a daily basis. {blue}:grinning:

It does say on the Gov.uk site that it is a legal requirement to keep all poultry and captive birds indoors. Also says same on RPRA website. 

I know what your saying Leslie but the RPRA are saying that we have to keep them indoors. 

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @lestheeagle

Taken from BBC website:

Be careful being too clever, Leslie. 

Those environmental types are not noted for their sense of humour. 

They catch you 'interpreting' the rules, they are just as likely to prosecute you. {pear}:surprised:  

ReplyQuote
lestheeagle
(@lestheeagle)
Famed Member Registered

I shall follow this link for advice, rather than the RPRA. Click latest situation and then scroll down to pigeons and birds of prey for advice.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/avian-influenza-bird-flu

Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2