End of Worthing & D...

Notifications
Clear all

End of Worthing & Dist HS

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Had the sad news from Trev that following a meeting this morning that Worthing & District Homing Society has finished. 

It was the club that I started racing in, and went to with dad when I was a boy. It was a very strong club back in those days with 40 odd members. I was the clock setter in the club for many years. I left in 1994 when I moved to Cornwall. Over the years many of the old members have passed on and it was only a shadow of what it used to be. 

This decision has come about following the long time secretary having a stroke a few weeks ago. Roy Oliver was the secretary when I was a boy and has remained so to the end. Although he has recovered somewhat from the stroke he doesn’t feel that he can continue with the pigeons. Brian of course who I got my loft from had to pack up last year. Also Laurie has been diagnosed with Liver cancer a couple of weeks ago and unsure about his future.

I had some great times with Roy over the years. Many a time it was just myself and Roy left in the pub until closing time on marking and race nights. 

Trev is going to join the Littlehampton club and also talking about joining the BBC.

This is very sad for what was once a great club and of which I have some great memories and to which I owe so much thanks to. Made some good friends. Too many of whom are no longer with us. 

Trev says that he will be back on the forum soon. 

PVDMR
(@pvdmr)
Member Moderator

Sign of the times I’m afraid...its why I packed it in,flying against 2/3 members,there were 40 members once☹️

atb

You can buy The Mans Winning pigeons BUT not the Man that flys them!!

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Always sad to see clubs closing but as Stew said sign of the times, will be nice to see Trev back onboard, glad he found another club

This post was modified 2 months ago by buster121

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Noble Member Registered

I was sad to read that. 

It is a sign of the times, I know, but upsetting, just the same. 

Look forward to seeing Trevor on here again. 

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered

very sad news but not many young members coming into pigeons now do hope you can find a club Trevor  and stay racing good luck

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @rainbow

very sad news but not many young members coming into pigeons now do hope you can find a club Trevor  and stay racing good luck

Trev’s going to join Littlehampton George. It is still quite a strong club and isn’t actually any further for him than Worthing was. They fly in the same Fed that he was flying in before. 

ReplyQuote
rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered

good news Andy

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

Andy that plate is still on ebay maybe worth making an offer a little keepsake

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @buster121

Andy that plate is still on ebay maybe worth making an offer a little keepsake

Thanks Buster I’ll take another look. 

ReplyQuote
killer
(@killer)
Illustrious Member Registered

Sad news , 

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)

It was a very sad day and hard to see the likes of Roy having to make a decision like that as the pigeons and club have been such a massive part of his life but as others have said with so few youngsters coming into the sport it was only a matter of time. Like Andy I joined the club as a teenager in the early 80s when the club had 40+ plus members sending in excess of 600 birds a week. The club has been going for around 100years, one of our earliest trophies was donated in 1928. Our Dad, Roy and Brian all joined the club as teenagers themselves back in the 1950s and Roy has been Secretary since 1972. As Andy said we have some great memories of our years in the club and made some great friends most of who are sadly no longer with us, being part of Worthing again was one of the big factors of me getting back into pigeons, we owe so much to both the club and its members and it will always have a special place in my heart. 

As Andy said I have applied to join Littlehampton and should know later in the week if I've been accepted, I will also be joining the BBC so I can get some distance racing and should hopefully be getting an ETS system now as well. 

ReplyQuote
killer
(@killer)
Illustrious Member Registered

I’ve seen this happen a lot over the years we get great guys doing a fantastic job over many years ,when they get sick or die ,no one will put there hands up to take over ,so with that point we have our selfs to blame ,as we are all old no young ones to take the officials place ,as most have either left our sport ,due to trying to raise a family or are not interested ,this comes down mainly to the way we all race pigeons ,most sports are graded ,our sport as we know it isn’t ,we all, start in A grade ,& get our brains beaten in most weeks ,cost come into it as well ,to race pigeons we all need a home ,look at the prices of housers now ,if you rent ,your at the mercy of the owner to when he may kick you out ,over here land sizes are decreasing ,most blocks are being sold off or subdivided in half ,this decade it as got harder & harder to race pigeons ,so my only comment is to get in & help our officials & learn the other side of the game instead of sitting back ,I’m so sorry to hear of another club going down ,with there history , cheers 

ReplyQuote
devo56
(@devo56)
Member Admin

A very sad read, i guess that is the way the sport is going.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @killer

I’ve seen this happen a lot over the years we get great guys doing a fantastic job over many years ,when they get sick or die ,no one will put there hands up to take over ,so with that point we have our selfs to blame ,as we are all old no young ones to take the officials place ,as most have either left our sport ,due to trying to raise a family or are not interested ,this comes down mainly to the way we all race pigeons ,most sports are graded ,our sport as we know it isn’t ,we all, start in A grade ,& get our brains beaten in most weeks ,cost come into it as well ,to race pigeons we all need a home ,look at the prices of housers now ,if you rent ,your at the mercy of the owner to when he may kick you out ,over here land sizes are decreasing ,most blocks are being sold off or subdivided in half ,this decade it as got harder & harder to race pigeons ,so my only comment is to get in & help our officials & learn the other side of the game instead of sitting back ,I’m so sorry to hear of another club going down ,with there history , cheers 

Very well put Killer. A lot of the problem over here is the same. New houses are all crammed together with very small gardens. Not much room for putting up a loft even if the authorities would allow it. I do also agree that a lot of clubs go because no one is wanting to take over the running of them. I have always liked to be involved with the running of the clubs I have been in. Apart from helping with marking at all of them, I was clock setter at Worthing. Secretary at Bodmin, clock setter at Yeovil and now treasurer at Frome. 

ReplyQuote