Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Avian flu

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Well avian flu is with us again. As from today, 29th November, it is a legal requirement for us to keep our birds housed. We are allowed to let them out briefly to exercise for say half an hour before feeding and while cleaning out. The birds need to be got straight back in and shut up then and not allowed to come and go. 

Mine are separated now and not going out anyway. Hopefully things will be better again long before racing is due to start or we could have the start to the season delayed once again next year. 

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

I must say, that seems a bit Mickey Mouse to me, Andy. 

You are probably ok where you are, but in the cities how are they going to make sure the pigeons are not landing on a building and mixing with others? 

That might be wishful thinking.

I

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @murray

I must say, that seems a bit Mickey Mouse to me, Andy. 

You are probably ok where you are, but in the cities how are they going to make sure the pigeons are not landing on a building and mixing with others? 

That might be wishful thinking.

I know what you mean Murray. The rules are made by DEFRA and it is wild migratory birds that bring it across from Europe during the winter. Pigeons are deemed a low risk but the real concern is that it gets into commercial poultry. All poultry keepers from the big farms down to the backyard keeper with just one chicken now have the legal requirement to keep their birds housed. 

Pigeons can be let out briefly for exercise while being cleaned out. There is no mixing of birds from different lofts allowed. This is what held up the start of racing last year. 

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)

Unfortunately this is going to be an annual problem so as a sport we will need to adjust accordingly. I think the winter shows will be at risk of being cancelled again and racing could well be affected again, it has hit a little earlier this year so hopefully will pass earlier too.

It is a notifiable disease and any flock commercial or otherwise that contracts it will have to be destroyed so it is in the interests of everyone who keeps birds to protect both theirs and others flocks. It has a massive impact on the free range producers as if the birds are kept housed for too long they technically can't sell their products as free range so getting this disease under control as quickly as possible is imperative, it can also be devastating for our wild fowl so any measures no matter how small or insignificant they might be have to be taken seriously. 

ReplyQuote