Notifications
Clear all

Nest bowls  

Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Estimable Member Registered
18/05/2020 9:42 pm  

I am looking at ordering a few nest bowls, looking around there are two main types. Is one type better than the other, i am thinking the one with four small holes in the base would be better for straw type nest material and the other type would need a nest felt?

index1
index

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
18/05/2020 9:54 pm  

I would go for the top one with the small holes. Wouldn’t even consider the other ones. Still like the old earthenware ones myself. 

ReplyQuote
Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Estimable Member Registered
18/05/2020 10:13 pm  
Posted by: @andy123

I would go for the top one with the small holes. Wouldn’t even consider the other ones. Still like the old earthenware ones myself. 

thats the one i am thinking of ordering, i assume the weight of the clay bowls helps keep them in place.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
18/05/2020 10:23 pm  

@paul1

The clay ones are difficult to get nowadays. Won’t usually be posted due to risk of breakages. 

ReplyQuote
rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered
18/05/2020 10:29 pm  

did you see my post had to put yb down  did not notice its leg had gone through the hole in right hand nest bowl the leg was a mess as it got thicker it cut into the plastic

ReplyQuote
rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered
18/05/2020 10:34 pm  

nest felt would not stay in the bowl that's why I give member on here 20 nest felts what I have done is tape the

P1030388

holes up for now

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
18/05/2020 10:49 pm  

https://www.ukbidsaway.co.uk/listing/terracotta-pigeon-nest-bowl/123

Out of the two pictured I would go for the first type but would use nest felts, I have a couple of different sorts here but also prefer the terracotta ones so only use the others as spares. Years ago I never used bowls I just screwed two lengths of 2x1 together to form an L shape and just placed them in one corner of the nest box, they worked perfectly. 

ReplyQuote
Bryngwynt
(@bryngwynt)
Famed Member Registered
18/05/2020 10:54 pm  

I use the old clay nest bowls, I do have some of the top photo ones.But prefer the old clay ones, sometimes you see them in garden centres for sale.Especially in the autumn for bulbs.

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
18/05/2020 11:13 pm  
Posted by: @bryngwynt

I use the old clay nest bowls, I do have some of the top photo ones.But prefer the old clay ones, sometimes you see them in garden centres for sale.Especially in the autumn for bulbs.

I think some of the ones I have are the old garden bowls and some probably older than me 🤠👍😂

ReplyQuote
rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered
18/05/2020 11:48 pm  
Posted by: @trench

I think some of the ones I have are the old garden bowls and some probably older than me 🤠👍😂

I have a casserole dish older than you a wedding present in 1975 Laughing Out Loud  

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
19/05/2020 8:04 am  
Posted by: @rainbow
Posted by: @trench

I have a casserole dish older than you a wedding present in 1975 Laughing Out Loud  

His older than that George 😂😂😂

ReplyQuote