Treatment of feathe...

Notifications
Clear all

Treatment of feather mites  

Mizmo
(@mizmo)
Estimable Member Registered
03/06/2020 12:24 am  

Luckily I have spotted feather mites from the two strays that have come in . I have a mite spray (from many years ago) besides that spray (I think its Columbia brand).

is there anything else I can do to make sure the mites dont get into the loft .I have sprayed zoflora in the loft to disinfect it. And the birds are in quarantine till I am 100% sure the mites are gone . I will spray it again tomorrow . 

Will dunking the bird in water (keeping its head above the water obviously)for a period of time drown the mites ? 

This topic was modified 1 month ago by Mizmo

buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
03/06/2020 5:57 am  

You can get mite stuff from corn stores, there are a few out there ebay also, there is a good one called mite x  very good or you could try the U200 drops off line at merca systems, water will not kill drown them

This post was modified 1 month ago by buster121

ReplyQuote
Muzza
(@muzza)
Noble Member Registered
03/06/2020 8:52 am  

Dare I suggest it?

A good blast along the underside of each wing with fly spray will clean them up.

These days there are all sorts of crawling insect sprays in the supermarkets. Any one will do. Wink  

This post was modified 1 month ago by Muzza

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
03/06/2020 12:43 pm  
Posted by: @muzza

Dare I suggest it?

A good blast along the underside of each wing with fly spray will clean them up.

These days there are all sorts of crawling insect sprays in the supermarkets. Any one will do. Wink  

I use fly killer more so on any strays that go into the seperation quarters, never thought to say it though thanks for reminding me Smile  

This post was modified 1 month ago by buster121

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
03/06/2020 7:20 pm  

I use Johnsons mite spray if I need to but do find that garlic in the water tends to help prevent any infestation but do still find the odd lice on them. I have also just purchased some Aviform EradiMite liquid (which is on offer at the moment with the powder free) just to see if this also helps, it's mostly for Red mite but does apparently also help prevent other external parasites. 

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
04/06/2020 10:04 am  

So only spray under the wings,will they not be anywhere else?

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
04/06/2020 10:28 am  
Posted by: @mizmo

So only spray under the wings,will they not be anywhere else?

I forgot to ask how many time do I spray and when is it safe to put them in with the rest of my birds 

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
04/06/2020 12:52 pm  

Should only need to be done once if it is already in with other birds they may have got some off it as well

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
04/06/2020 5:52 pm  
  1. @buster121 I have checked them, they are fine .the bird was only there for a little bit . Funny thing was, I checked it and couldn't see it them the first time.it was the second time I spotted them.  Then I also opened its mouth to see any visual problems it may have had.

ReplyQuote