Notifications
Clear all

Training basket /normal basket

Page 1 / 2

Mizmo
(@mizmo)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter  

I've been looking for a training basket or a normal basket where I can fly my birds from. I have only found expensive baskets for £100 , which will only fit 14 birds . Can anyone point me to the right direction ,or is that how much they cost?

Murray
(@murray)
Noble Member Registered

Good on you, Mizmo, for asking that.

Thinking with your head.

Yep, I believe that you can easily pay that sort of money for a basket in the UK.

Two suggestions.

Look around and see if you can pick up a basket second hand. And no, I would not be very keen on that either. Many used baskets are, well, not good.

Or, make your own hampers.

I can show you some ideas, if you are interested. 10 or 15 quid each is a bit easier.  

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin

As Muzza says, you are more than capable of making your own all you need is some wood and some wire, you can get cheap ones off ebay have a look in the racing pigeon section

ReplyQuote
jmccall
(@www-propertymaintenanceleeds-co-uk)
Estimable Member Registered

I bought these few weeks back and am very Impressed there light weight fold away if needed and have dowels bottoms with slide out trays infact ive just ordered 2 more and price is cheap as chips 

https://9bf0490e-5328-11e4-a216-14feb5d39fb2.mysimplestore.com/products/2-x-80cm-wooden-basket-collapsible

ReplyQuote
jmccall

Most importantly for me is the weight of a basket I hate heavy baskets struggling and bouncing birds about the lighter and more comfortable a basket is to move around the more comfortable for the pigeons and less stress 

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
Topic starter  

@muzza if you could do that please , I would appreciate it . As my birds are ranging now and I think it's time they went for a drive. Before I do that I want to put them in a basket and get them familiar with it 

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
Topic starter  

@muzza if you could do that please , I would appreciate it . As my birds are ranging now and I think it's time they went for a drive. Before I do that I want to put them in a basket and get them familiar with it 

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
Topic starter  

@www-propertymaintenanceleeds-co-uk you call that cheap as chips 😱 if I was to be eating your chips I'd have no money left . Is it two baskets for £70 ? If so then it ain't bad.had another look and saw 'x2'

• That might be my last resort though .if I get desperate 
This post was modified 12 months ago by Mizmo

ReplyQuote
jmccall

Posted by: @mizmo

@www-propertymaintenanceleeds-co-uk you call that cheap as chips 😱 if I was to be eating your chips I'd have no money left . Is it two baskets for £70 ? If so then it ain't bad.had another look and saw 'x2'

• That might be my last resort though .if I get desperate 

£35 a basket if that’s not cheap enough then your best bet is go to your local green grocer and ask him for his old banana boxes and get busy with some paint Tight git 😂 

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)

I've been looking for a training basket or a normal basket where I can fly my birds from. I have only found expensive baskets for £100 , which will only fit 14 birds . Can anyone point me to the right direction ,or is that how much they cost?

Sensible idea getting the birds used to the basket first mate, also important to make sure they know how to find the drinkers so leaving them in the basket is good idea prior to the first race too. Some good suggestions from others and I have to say that when I need to replace mine I'll be going for the John mentioned. Have a look at Pvdmrs Van Loon post as he also has baskets for sale that might do you a turn 👍

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
Topic starter  

@trench I ain't got a clue how to use the old site nevermind this new one. How do I find his post .

When taking them for a basket toss do I have to have food and water for them ?

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Noble Member Registered

I made two of these hampers. I agree with j.mccall. It is easier to lift and carry two smaller boxes than one big one.

These were made out of a couple of small sheets of 3mm MDF, and a few metres of dressed pine.

The most expensive bits were the aluminium rod, the paint, and the hinges and bolts.

I do not like open topped hampers. Birds instinctively try to fly upwards, and open tops stress them.

As I explained it to a bloke, I wouldn't be sending my race horse to Epsom in a cattle truck.

[attach]4903[/attach]
[attach]4904[/attach]

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @muzza

I made two of these hampers. I agree with j.mccall. It is easier to lift and carry two smaller boxes than one big one.

These were made out of a couple of small sheets of 3mm MDF, and a few metres of dressed pine.

The most expensive bits were the aluminium rod, the paint, and the hinges and bolts.

I do not like open topped hampers. Birds instinctively try to fly upwards, and open tops stress them.

As I explained it to a bloke, I wouldn't be sending my race horse to Epsom in a cattle truck.

[attach]4903[/attach]
[attach]4904[/attach]

That looks very good .will it be heavy being MDF?

ReplyQuote
rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered

looking good them are

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Noble Member Registered

Posted by: @muzza

[attach]4903,4903[/attach]
[attach]4904,4904[/attach]

That looks very good .will it be heavy being MDF?

Not at all.

3mm MDF is like heavy cardboard.

They are light but quite strong. The pigeons settle and travel happily in the hampers.

Regards

Murray.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2