Notifications
Clear all

Sparrow Hawk deterrents  

Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Reputable Member Registered
08/10/2020 2:29 pm  

I have been lucky up to now and not seen the local female since May, I am now thinking i had better be prepared for when she might return and am looking at what deterrents i can use. What have people had success with? i have read people have had good results using one of those flashing amber beacons so i am thinking of trying one of them.

Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
08/10/2020 6:12 pm  
Posted by: @paul1

I have been lucky up to now and not seen the local female since May, I am now thinking i had better be prepared for when she might return and am looking at what deterrents i can use. What have people had success with? i have read people have had good results using one of those flashing amber beacons so i am thinking of trying one of them.

You shouldn’t get much trouble from the sparrow hawk until around March next year. She will be happy with smaller birds during the winter. I haven’t used any deterrents but know some have found the replica eagle owl works quite well. 

ReplyQuote
Paul
 Paul
(@paul1)
Reputable Member Registered
08/10/2020 6:42 pm  

thank Andy that's reassuring, i'll look at the eagle owls as well.

ReplyQuote
grizzlecock
(@grizzlecock)
Estimable Member Registered
08/10/2020 8:57 pm  

Paul.if you have your birds under complete control you will never have sparrowhawk trouble..every time you let them out....as soon as you see them thinking of coming down...get them in fast.... it really is as simple as that

ReplyQuote
stevekulpa
(@stevekulpa)
Noble Member Registered
10/10/2020 2:40 pm  

This is not correct Grizzle the hen hawk we had here a few years ago used to wait until it was time for us to call them down then hit them as they were on the trap board going in and you wont get many trap as fast as ours. she would sit in the fir tree a few houses up and wait. Luckily she is no longer here  

ReplyQuote