Clear all

Pigeon markings  

Page 1 / 2

Saul
 Saul
(@saul)
Trusted Member Registered
03/06/2020 7:26 pm  

Sorry, another daft question from me,  feeling very needy... but if you dont ask ...

Is there a good article you can point me to about colouration / markings genetics? Just wondering if blue bars will only have blue bars? and to be honest a bit vague about the difference between grizzles, checkers, mealys etc, I mean I know what they look like but don't know the inheritance. 

Sub question, do greys and whites pair preferentially to their own colour?

Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
03/06/2020 7:47 pm  

Hi Saul as we have said before never apologise for asking questions and they are never daft, we were all novices once. Andy has a lot of knowledge on colour/genetics so may have some answers for you, there is a book by G.H.T Stovin called Breeding better pigeons that covers pretty much everything and has a chapter on Colour. It might be one you can find online mate. 

All the best. 

This post was modified 1 month ago by Trevor Hodges

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
03/06/2020 8:40 pm  

An easier one

Blue x Blue = Blue cocks - Blue hens
Blue x Mealy = Mealy cocks - Blue hens
Blue x Blue Cq = Blue, Blue Cheq cocks - Blue, Blue Cheq hens
Blue x Red = Mealy, Red cocks - Blue, Blue Cheq hens
Mealy x Blue = Blue, Mealy cocks - Blue, Mealy hens
Mealy x Mealy = Mealy cocks - Blue, Mealy hens
Mealy x Blue = Mealy, Red, Blue cocks - Mealy, Red Blue hens
Mealy x Red = Mealy, Red cocks - Mealy, Red, Blue, Blue Cheq hens
Chequer x Chequer = Blue Cheq cocks - Blue Cheq hens
Blue Cheq x Blue = Blue, Blue Cheq cocks - Blue, Blue Cheq hens
Blue Cheq x Mealy = Mealy, Red cocks - Blue, Blue Cheq hens
Blue Cheq x Blue Cq = Blue, Blue Cheq cocks - Blue, Blue Cheq hens
Blue Cheq x Red = Mealy, Red cocks - Blue, Blue Cheq hens
Red x Blue = Blue, Blue Cheq, Red, Mealy cocks - Blue, Blue Cheq, Red, mealy hens
Red x Mealy = Mealy, Red cocks - Mealy, Red, Blue, Blue Cheq hens
Red x Blue Cheq = Blue, Blue Cheq, Red Mealy cocks - Blue, Blue Cheq, Mealy, Red hens
Red x Red = Mealy, Red cocks - Mealy, Red, Blue, Blue Cheq hens

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
03/06/2020 8:55 pm  

@buster121

Nice one mate, that pretty much sums it up 👍🤠

ReplyQuote
Saul
 Saul
(@saul)
03/06/2020 8:56 pm  

@buster121 That first post blew my mind and will take some digesting. The second post will do me for now ! thanks

A bit sad though as I lost the two lovely dark checks, and they are not coming back unless I add a check to a blue, my very lovely blue bars are just producing blue bars it seems.

This post was modified 1 month ago by Saul

ReplyQuote
Saul
 Saul
(@saul)
03/06/2020 8:56 pm  
Posted by: @saul

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
03/06/2020 9:27 pm  

Unless you physically pair your brids up they will just pair to whoever takes their fancy, colour won't make a difference to them 👍🤠

ReplyQuote
Trevor Hodges
(@trench)
03/06/2020 9:34 pm  

@buster121 That first post blew my mind and will take some digesting. The second post will do me for now ! thanks

A bit sad though as I lost the two lovely dark checks, and they are not coming back unless I add a check to a blue, my very lovely blue bars are just producing blue bars it seems.

Shame to hear you lost your dark ones mate, you never know you could still get the odd chequer. Are the blues paired together ?? if so they will just throw blues, if a blue pairs to a white it could well throw a black.

I have all sorts of colours but but blue is definitely the prominent colour, the majority of my youngsters this year are blues again even from my Grizzles. 

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
03/06/2020 10:23 pm  

Good post Buster. 

Just to clarify. Colour is linked to the sex gene. Cocks have one more chromosome than hens and this is related to the colour. A cock carries 2 colour genes, the most dominant colour will be the colour of the cock. Red is dominant over blue. So if a cock carries the red gene on either of these chromosomes it will be red. If the other gene is blue it will still be red but have the black splashes, flecks, found in most red cocks. The hen only carries one colour gene. If this is red she will be red if blue she will be blue. A red cock could carry two red genes and would have no black splashes and will only ever throw reds. 

As the cock carries two sex/colour genes he receives one from each parent. A hen only receives a Sex/colour gene from her sire. Hence why a red hen paired to a blue cock will only breed red sons, as she passes her red gene to her sons which is the dominant gene, and blue daughters. Because the hen only receives the colour gene from her sire it has to be blue. 

Hope that hasn’t complicated things. Lol.

yes your blues will only breed blues if paired together and no they have no preference to colour when choosing a mate. 

ReplyQuote
Saul
 Saul
(@saul)
04/06/2020 12:29 am  

@buster121 so what happens with a blue to a white cross ?

ReplyQuote
buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
04/06/2020 5:59 am  

White is not a colour like ash red, blue or brown. It is usually a combination of genes that cover up whatever is underneath. Things like grizzle, pied and sometimes recessive white.
 If the blue bird carried recessive white and if that is what the other bird is you would get some pure. Still half of them wouldn't be white.

If the bird is recessive white with no other pied or grizzle genes and you pair it with a bird without carrying recessive white you would actually get all pure coloured birds from them. So likely your bird is not recessive white.

If you don't know the ancestry you really never know what white it is until you get some youngsters.

This post was modified 1 month ago 2 times by buster121

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin
04/06/2020 8:08 am  
Posted by: @buster121

White is not a colour like ash red, blue or brown. It is usually a combination of genes that cover up whatever is underneath. Things like grizzle, pied and sometimes recessive white.
 If the blue bird carried recessive white and if that is what the other bird is you would get some pure. Still half of them wouldn't be white.

If the bird is recessive white with no other pied or grizzle genes and you pair it with a bird without carrying recessive white you would actually get all pure coloured birds from them. So likely your bird is not recessive white.

If you don't know the ancestry you really never know what white it is until you get some youngsters.

I must admit I haven’t really looked into white. I know this is different and shouldn’t be confused with the Pied gene. Both white and black are a pattern, like bars or Chequers, both solid. Solid is the most recessive colour and could through bars and chequers as well as solid. You would need a solid patterned parent to get solid youngsters. 

I think I’m right in this. 

ReplyQuote
rainbow
(@rainbow)
Famed Member Registered
04/06/2020 8:38 am  

have a pure white cock sitting on eggs paired to a blue ch hen if any ybs they will go to Christopher morgan owns the white cock not me there is no way I would keep the ybs

ReplyQuote
Mizmo
(@mizmo)
Estimable Member Registered
04/06/2020 10:17 am  

@saul i have a blue chequered hen ,if and when she lays (I dont know if she will this year as the rest of my birds are around 4-5 and I don't know if they will pair up, as i dont know much about breeding them) she will either be paired up with a white or a red you can have the birds if you are local to me( w mids ) can provide pics of her if you want 

ReplyQuote
Saul
 Saul
(@saul)
04/06/2020 11:05 am  

@mizmo Thats a kind offer Mizmo, I know it seems a bit frivolous but I did like the variation in markings, and so far am breeding just whites and blues

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2