Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Hopper Feeding

Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

As you know I have been trying hopper feeding with a lot of problems so far, ie small seeds being left and clogging the feed holes up, was thinking of trying some straights of white peas, blue peas, beans and maize what are your thoughts and what percentages would you use of each, I was just going to use an equal mix of the four 

Sadie's Loft's, home of great birds, just a poor loft manager

Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

I think you will always have problems with hopper feeding a mixture, buster.

They will always choose the grains they want and leave the rest.

I would suggest a 'modified' hopper feeding system. Two hoppers, one with maize and one with peas. (Or beans, a legume is a legume, it doesn't matter). They will be happy on that.

Then I would make a mix of wheat or milo, and safflower or sunflower, or anything else you like, and hand feed them a little of that every day when you check them. It would add some variety and make them pleased to see you. 

If you are going away for a day or two, they could go without the extra, it wouldn't hurt them.  

I am good! They aren't firing rubber bullets at me. Yet.
Welcome to Victoria, 2021.

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

The only time I have hopper fed I used just beans. That worked well. There is always a problem with feeding any mixes, either in a hopper or in a trough. They will always pick out the grains they prefer. I think if you used the mix you are suggesting you would still get some that would just eat the maize and some the peas. I think if I was going to hopper feed I would probably use chicken layers pellets. These are a complete pellet with the added vitamins and minerals. Just my thoughts though mate. 

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

ReplyQuote
Murray
(@murray)
Famed Member Registered

There are pigeon pellets available too, and perhaps you are right, Andy. It may be the best option.

I tried to get my pigeons onto pellets once, and they wouldn't touch them. It became a battle of who was going to give in first. 

Needless to say, I did. I couldn't bear to see them go hungry any longer. 😆 

If they will eat them it might be the best answer.

I am good! They aren't firing rubber bullets at me. Yet.
Welcome to Victoria, 2021.

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Thanks all, more food (no pun lol) for thought there

I was also hoping the mix would deter critters a bit as no small stuff for them

This post was modified 1 month ago by Buster121

ReplyQuote
Andy123
(@andy123)
Member Admin

Posted by: @buster121

Have you tried the ultrasonic emitters designed to deter rodents. I haven’t used one but know they do them. I do however use the one to deter cats. I have it on top of the loft and it does work. It doesn’t effect the birds. 

Home of the ukpigeonracing test loft.

ReplyQuote
Buster121
(@buster121)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @andy123

Have you tried the ultrasonic emitters designed to deter rodents. I haven’t used one but know they do them. I do however use the one to deter cats. I have it on top of the loft and it does work. It doesn’t effect the birds. 

No mate,  I have however used the solar ones that go into the ground a total waste of money I also use the electric killer ones another waste of money

ReplyQuote
chelsea2014uk
(@chelsea2014uk)
Estimable Member Registered

As you know I have been trying hopper feeding with a lot of problems so far, ie small seeds being left and clogging the feed holes up, was thinking of trying some straights of white peas, blue peas, beans and maize what are your thoughts and what percentages would you use of each, I was just going to use an equal mix of the four 

ReplyQuote
chelsea2014uk
(@chelsea2014uk)
Estimable Member Registered

I did it a few years ago no problem had a hopper that held a lot of corn I used at the time verserlager best all round

ReplyQuote